Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sawzall ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Mar 21, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I am going to buy a new one tomorow. I am thinking about the Craftsman since they have a 6.5 amp pretty cheap. I figure for how often I am going to use it I can't see the point of getting an expensive one. Any input?

2. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Wayne just remember you get what you pay for I would go with a Milwaukee dewalt is ok should be like $125.00 or so and will last a few years

4. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Wayne ramjet gmc is correct you get what you pay for. I have a Milwaukee super sawzall and it is great

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have the craftsman 6.5. I think i got it on sale for $60-ish. At any rate, combined with "The Torch" metal-cutting blades from Home Depot, this thing works GREAT. I have cut 1/4" thick steel with it with NO problems. when I chopped my 3" exhaust off during the shackle flip, it was like a hot knife through butter. I really dont see a need for a more powerful sawzall... if it can do 1/4", it can do anything we'd wanna do with it, right?

J

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have used many different brands the craftsman is a good unit, I would get the variable speed, get the life time warrannty, it was cheap, I purchased a Craftman drill with a lifetime warranty, It took 10 years to use it, but when I did, they didn`t have the same model, so they had to upgrade the unit, I originally paid $35, I ended up with a $69 unit! Good deal huh

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Being in the contracting business I have a fair amount of experience with various tool brands. For home use, the Craftsman will do the job. Milwaukee is very good, but unless you plan on really using it a lot, save your money.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have had the top line (at least when I bought it) variable speed Craftsman for about 10 years and it's seen allot of work with no problems. It even did some time in a body shop (for about a year after I bought it) before I sold out of it. Never had a problem and I used it again just last weekend.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have the 11.5A Porter Cable. It rocks! I used it to trim my 14FF and it worked well. I have heard of some people getting the 10.5A one at one of the home imp. stores for $100. I think that would be the way to go. Whatever you get make sure it has varible speed. You will save the $$$ by not burning up so many blades.

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have used many brands also. To be honest Dewalt has never impressed me esp. their drills. I just can't see spending $120 for a tool that I will not use often and the $70 one will work just fine for me. I will not be using it that often and if it is a little slower then the higher amp models that will be fine. Going to pick it up tonight, early birthday present from Donna, and will get the lifetime warrenty.

11. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

All craftsmen electric tools 3 year warranty look close

12. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Definately go Milwalke or Porter Cable if you expect it to last.
    Do some checking around at the local Home Depots and such.
    You can pick up a tool that was used one and returned for about half price. I know that you may want to check out a couple of the "authorized" repair centers and get one that someone had repaired and did not pick it up. Oh, and lest I forget the ever popular Pawn shops!
    Best deal yet, go to the pawn shop, buy the craftsman, snap on ect. tools, broken wore out or whatever for cheap, then take them and exchage them.
    For me goin' pawn shopping for "deals", is like the wife shopping at the mall!
    That is the way I got most of my tools over the years.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

There are no Pawn shops in our area. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

14. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I picked up a dewalt from home depot, I think for 89 bucks and it'll make a small mistake into a big one in no time!!! I'm happy with it and glad I didn't spend the extra 80+ bucks for the super sazall.

Mike

15. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I also have a Dewalt that I got at Home Depot, it also was about $89 two years ago. I haven't had any problems with it and it has been used alot.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get the craftsman dude. If u use good blades and dont abuse it, it'll serve you well. Some of these guys trying to get u to buy a $100+ sawzall are the types that are cutting stuff every single day.... if thats you, sure buy a spendy one. If you use it less often than that, Im sure the craftsman will sufice, it has for me. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

17. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah I got the biggest Super Sawzall made with orbital or regular cutting, variable speed, all the bells and whistles... cost me like $200 but I love it. I use it ALL the time though and for some pretty heavy stuff. The orbital cut is nice for wood, just slap one of those jagged beastly looking "blades from hell" in there and it'll chew it's way through anything in about 2 seconds. I took the bulk of each rocker panel off in one pass with a long Torch blade on it, those Torch blades really do cut like butter!! The course ones go through 3/4" steel like it's sheetmetal.

I agree though that if your not planning on using it that often, get one for just under $100 but make sure it has variable speed. It's gonna become your favorite instrument of destruction very quickly!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have both, the craftsman does everything the Sawzall dies, just a bit less power, which is actually good IMHO for some sheetmetal work and the like. but the raw power of the Sawzall is also at times very needed.

19. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, like everyone said, since you're not using it much, and it seems that you're only using it for cutting sheet metal and stuff, so the el cheapo unit will be all you need....
    You saw my sawzall though, the Super Sawzall w/ Orbital from Milwaukee ($200), it's definately the shiznits, but I use my sawzall very often, from cutting down trees, to 1/4" steel plate, etc......Just remember, the type of blade and tooth count you get is important for what you're doing and also, get plenty of cutting oil, b/c this will help the blades last longer....
    Boss

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well I got the Craftsman, I got the $109 one on sale for $79. I think it will do fine for me. It will be getting a good workout soon. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif