Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SawZall !!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Feb 4, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You guys must be a bad influence I Just borrowed a 18volt cordless Sawzall for The next week or so I'm gonna practice cutting fenders on some rusty fenders I have at the house I had planned on bushwackers for my yellowK20 but I think I like the cut look a little better you guys have any "templates" for 73-80 front fenders I know it's the different front clip but I really like Sandman's blazer and the way his is cut /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

break out the duct tape and go with whatever looks good

3. yellowK20

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Hell yeah got to have duct tape How far can you go and still keep the inner fender???? I'd take it out if I needed to but I play in the mud so i'd like to keep it /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I use 2" masking tape. Stick it on the body and draw a line in pencil from eyeballing where you want the cut to be. The step back and see how it looks. When you are finally happy with it, ink the line and get the sawzall after it.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I used a cut-off wheel for the outside fender,and a sawzall for the inner fender.Worked out good,just take your time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Anyone try an air nibbler for this project? I was looking at maybe buying one...

7. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    The air nibbler will in theory make a smooth edge...but it will dipple up and bend the sheetmetal in the process. Also the thickness might make it a bit slow.
    Blake

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I gathered crowd when i used sawzall to trim front fenders on 2 yr old truck to mount 35in Gumbos. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Had to cut them to drive from tire shop,people could'nt believe I was cutting fenders to just to run bigger tires /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. yellowK20

guys I'm rethinking the sawzll thing I tried it last night on some old fenders at the house it worked but it's pretty hard on ears and hands I'm thinking air nibbler, air shear, cut off wheel ,Or plasma cutter any other ideas or tips i'm willing to try any thing I got a stack of fenders to practice on any body guys out there have any ideas on how to elimianate the side marker ?? that's about how much I'd like to cut Eventually I'd like to clear 48" firestones or 48" michelins with out going higher than My current 12" suspension and 3" body (Not installed yet )I'd also like to have it look good (not show truck just nice looking ) I really like Sandman's blazer It's sharp looking /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Yunit did a great job on his fender trim and was even nice enough to post up a schematic with dimensions on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This might help.

Lance

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Nice pics Lance. It makes a lot of noise,but,how about using die grinder or small side grinder.Also with fenders on truck it won't vibrate hands as bad because the fender won't jump as much following the blade.Try really fine tooth blade,that willhelp too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. yellowK20

That's what I was looking for but his is a later model front clip is the fender opening the same as a 73-80 That looks like a kick as jimmy but the cinder blocks Got to go to easy for them to crumble when you start really banging around and pulling on stuff under there /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif did he use a sawzall ???? Thanx for being patient with me /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. yellowK20

One of the fenders I cut was on the truck the inner fender was removed would that make a differance ?? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that, I guess I could have checked your signature and saw you have an older body style. Still it is an awesome reference that could be modified for your application I'm sure.

I don't know if he used a sawzall or not. I saw those dimensions one day while checking out the picks in Member Rides and bookmarked it for future reference. I figured I would ask him all my questions when I was ready to do my trim-job.

PM yunit if you have any questions on what he did.

15. yellowK20

No prob dude I'm just happy to get some response'es your truck is awesome Are you still lookin' for a 700r-4 ??? I'd highly recomend Tci if you can afford it /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Sawzall good, nippler better! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the compliment and yeah, I'm still lookin' for a 700r4 tranny. I checked out TCI's website and it sounds like top notch stuff, it's just that I'm out of money. I was hoping to have some time to save for a custom re-build unit in maybe a years time. Unfortunately my truck thought now was a better time for a new tranny. As of right now I don't even have money to even buy a used unit or even to have mine get a basic re-build.

Oh well, something will work out sooner or later. (Although probably later rather than sooner.)

18. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i believe its called a nibbler, but i like the way you think /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. yellowK20

I know how it goes on the money thing I stay broke most of the time The only reason I have mine is cuz I traded my scout for it I'm gonna try to borrow a scanner to post some pics of my blue k10 with the 4" lift and 35" bfg mt's I'm not to good with computers so I'll probalaly take some time to figure out Good luck with the trnny dude you need to get it put back on the road /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status