Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Say no to TiVo

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Oct 12, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Posted Oct 9, 2005 PT TiVo upgrade concerns fans

The latest TiVo software has the ability to allow broadcasters to delete material recorded by users after a certain date. A TiVo spokesman called the deletions a "glitch" and said only a handful of customers were affected.

See more articles like this one at www.DVR-news.org

Original news summary: (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/services/2005-09-22-tivo-recordings_x.htm)
    • Many fans of digital video recorders made by TiVo Inc. are beginning to fear that Hollywood studios will one day reach into their set-top boxes to restrict the way they record and store movies and programs.
    • Among the functions included in TiVo's latest software upgrade is the ability to allow broadcasters to erase material recorded by TiVo's 3.6 million users after a certain date.
    • That ability was demonstrated recently when some TiVo customers complained on TiVo community sites that episodes of "The Simpsons" and "King of the Hill" they recorded were "red-flagged" for deletion by the copyright holder.
    • Some users also were upset that they were prevented from transferring these red-flagged shows to a PC via the TiVoToGo service.
    • Elliot Sloan, a TiVo spokesman, called the red-flag incident a "glitch" and said it affected only a handful of customers.
    • Since TiVo introduced its DVR in the late 1990s, customers have enjoyed the ability to record anything they want, and store it indefinitely.
    • But last year, TiVo quietly disclosed that it would employ copyright-protection software from Macrovision Corp. for pay-per-view and video-on-demand programs.
    • According to a post on TiVo's Web site, the software allows broadcasters to restrict how long a DVR can save certain recordings or in some cases prevent someone from recording altogether.
    • Matt Haughey, creator of PVRblog.com, the Web site where the complaints first appeared, said some fans are overreacting about the red-flag incident.
    • TiVo is among many platforms that could be transformed by the entertainment industry's demands for tighter copyright controls.
    • Broadcasters have also tried to force electronics manufacturers to insert a technology known as the broadcast flag into new televisions to prevent programs from being copied or disseminated on the Internet.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have DVR witch is very simular to TIVO. Love it, set it too record my shows when I'm not home, or watching something else.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My new computer has the Media software and I love it. I don't miss a thing anymore because I can record it and take it with me.