Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sb 400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

if I remember right they are exturnally balanced. there is a 75 k5 in the paper for 1200 but it says needs a flywheel. Can you just get a 400 fly wheel or am i right about the balancing [​IMG]

2. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A 400 flywheel will have the externally balanced counterweight on it and will work fine.

3. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

ok.........arnt they balanced as a set? or will any flywheel work?

4. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As long as it's a 400 flywheel it will be OK, they all have the same counterweight to them, same with the balancer. With the flexplates you can see the counterweight welded to them. With the flywheels I am not sure if it will have a counterweight, or if it will have material removed from part of it.

Unless you are building a custom rotating assembly that is professionally balanced, any 400 flywheel will work.

5. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

cool, thankyou

6. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

ok another question. Is there a difference in a 350 and 400 starter?:confused:

I went and looked at this 75 and the guy claimes that it needs a new flywheel and that is it. He tells me that he had two 350 starters on there and it messed up the flywheel. He didnt know that there was a difference. (i dont either) :( So i crawl up under it and the cover is off so I look at the flywheel and just a little bit of the teeth on the corner are chewed up but all in all I have seen much worse and still start.:confused: It looks as though the starter needs shims or something. because the teeth arent engaging all the way. he will not try to start it but said when i get it running and i dont like it he will refund my money but say one thing do another i know. I have been around a while :grin:

sounds a little fishy but the truck has some issues and no top :( but he claims the engine and transmission were rebuilt not that long ago. 4 inch lift with springs all the way around nice 35 " a/ts. If i wasnt moving in july I would buy it and just fix it but I dont want a problem while I am moving because i will have to drive it.

any ideas

7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Well, my 383 has a 400 crank and flywheel and it has the old 350 starter on it. Everyone lists the 350 and 400 starters as the same part # and mine has been in for over a year with no problems.

8. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

same here. but didnt know forsure, thanks

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

same starters....

I have a 78 400 small block in my 74 K20,I have had several starters from 350's,305's,even a 250 six cylinder one on it with no problems--if the bolt patten on the nose is the same,it will work,as long as its shimmed (if nessasary) to properly engage the flywheel teeth..there are some other GM starters used on caddy,buick and pontiac motors that will bolt on the same,but the noses are slightly different,and the caddy ones sometimes have a different gear on the drive,that wont mesh properly with a chevy flywheel..so it pays to make sure its a chevy starter your putting on....:crazy:

10. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Check one other thing how many teeth are on the flywheel. 168 or 153 will make a difference on the drive. The problem is almost nobody lists a seperate drive for the 2 different flywheels which is one of the reasons starters need to be shimmed. The difference between the 2 drives isn't tooth count but pitch of the teeth is what I was told by my starter guy.
    George

11. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

hey thanks for the info will have to check it out this weekend :cool1: