Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sb/bb stock fan question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Jul 18, 2003.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

is there any difference between small block stock rad fans and big blocks ? if there is, can i bolt a bb stock fan on my sb and get any improvement ? any and all info will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Don't just go by whether it is a BB fan or a SB fan - go by the cooling option . More than likely you will want a large 7 blade fan with a HD fan clutch . Spend some time at the parts store comparing the different clutches and you will see some differences.
    If you need an application to start with use a mid 1980's K/C-30 w/ a BB and H.D. cooling and maximum gear ( there is a foot note in the books for the gear ratio )- it has to do with the thermal spring and when it lets the clutch free wheel.
    Note: You will hear this set up engage A LOT more than a standard set up - It will stay locked up at a higher RPM than most clutches and it will robb some power but it will cool( pull some serious air flow ) like there is no
    tomorrow .
    HTH , Tom

3. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

good info man, thanks alot /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The Big Block 7 blade fan has been superceded to a five blade with a whole bunch of pitch. The number on it is a 15989194. It works extremely well. I have used several and have sold many to a local Ford guy for use on his fleet of 460's (when ford parts don't work--head to GM /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif). The fan clutch you would want to use is a Delco P/N 15-4593. It is a extreme+severe duty unit for a motor home. This clutch in conjunction with the aforementioned fan should keep your small block cool where you are at, as it will keep a big block with air cool here in hell, uh, I mean Phoenix. I have one of these fans and fan clutch available if you need one (both from GM). It has about 2hrs run time on it. I had it on my big block in my Sub, before I removed the engine/trans to make room for the Cummins. If you are interested in these PM me and we'll see if we can make a deal /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What's the cost on those?

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The seven blade fan is no longer offered ( go to a bone yard ) but the steep pitch five blade fan seems to do well enough , as mentioned above . The fan clutch is exspensive but worth it . I can't remember how much but it was a bite in the wallet when I got mine years ago . Sorry , I can't give Ya an exact dollar amount - I think I paid around $ 150.00 or so for the clutch alone. Tom