Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SB400 flywheel $60; complete 454 motor $700

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 12, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Manual flywheel for SB400 externally balanced motor, for 12" clutch. $60.

Also, I am in possession of a complete 454 motor. I was in the process of buying it, but I have to pay off the person who it still belongs to (cause he needs money for it asap). Its the complete longblock with all brackets. I was told it was a good runner, but have not personally heard it run. There is fuel in the oil, either from a bad fuel pump or from the fact that they messed up the firing order and cranked it over a bunch without it firing.

I need to come up with $700 to give him for it.

Located in Spokane, Wa. The motor would have to be sold or picked up locally.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

any specs on the motor? year, miles any work done to it?

3. mountainexplorer

All I know is that I was told it was a strong runner. It's probably sat for a year or so now since it was last ran. It's been out of the truck and at my place since August. Unsure on if/when it has been rebuilt, but was told it was all just stock (nothing high performance).

The casting numbers are:
    Block: 14015445 Date code: J-30-2

Heads: 346236 Date code: J-16-2

Just an early '80's truck motor from what I can tell. Clean inside. Spins over fine. The only thing that concerns me is the fuel in the oil. I was planning on pulling a rod bearing cap off and looking at the bearing to see if the motor has been spun over/run very much with the fuel in it. Other than that, I would just throw it in and run it. I ended up getting a whole other truck with a motor in it, so I don't have the money to give him for this one now.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

4 bolt?
    the number says it was either.
    i'm not sure on bbc heads but it says

120 runners with 225/xxx ports.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm just looking for soemthing I can rering and new gaskets on and have a reliable motor that would be fun in a 3600# cruiser with a time or two down the track.

5. mountainexplorer

I would assume 2-bolt main, though I haven't pulled the oil pan yet.

The heads are nothing high performance, just stock open chamber heads with the smaller intake runners.

If you were going to re-ring and re-bearing it, then I don't think you'd have any troubles with it. If I had more time to check it out, I'd do my checks and throw it in something to run it. But I need to pay him off soon, so I have to sell it as it sits. Whoever would want to buy it would be more than welcome to check it out and do any tests on it they wanted, pulling the pan, checking bearings, etc... before buying it.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm very interested.
    what all would be needed to get this in a rig?
    motor mounts?
    alt bracket (hard to make,lol)
    power steering (none in it's future home)
    carb?
    flywheel?

also if I could would you be whiling to pull the pan, and possible fire it and check it out if I send ya the dough???

7. mountainexplorer

It's the complete bolted together longblock with stock intake, valve covers, and oil pan. I have the water pump, alternator bracket, and pulleys. (I robbed the PS pump and hydroboost for my Crew Cab). It was a manual, but I have an automatic flexplate for it. Has the motor mounts bolted to the block still.

All you'd need is a carb, distributor, starter and alternator... pretty much all the stuff that can come off a small block or any other motor. The exhaust manifolds and AC bracketry stayed with the truck it came out of, so I don't have those.

8. mountainexplorer

I can pull the pan if you want and see what the situation is on the bottom end. I've been meaning forever to make an engine running stand in the corner of my garage out of an old front frame section, but I haven't done that yet. Right now, I don't really have an open stand or anything to attempt firing it (if you saw my garage and driveway, you'd understand. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) Just let me know what you want to do. The local ad for it for $750 comes out this Friday.

I may end up selling another 454 I have also, that I'm most likely getting back in one of those mixed up crazy multi-person involved trades. It ran great, but just started knocking, so it'd need bearings and maybe the crank turned. It originally came out of my crew cab.

The motor in my driveway now came out of an '84 3/4 ton 4x4, but that truck was a diesel originally, so someone swapped it in. I'm not sure what it origin ally came out of.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

just pop the pan if ya could, if it's a 4 bolt you got a deal.

10. mountainexplorer

I'll try to clear the area around it and get a cherry picker to it. I'll almost guarantee it's a 2-bolt main. Just cause, every big block I've had pass through my hands in the past or present hasn't been a 4-bolt. As far as motors go, I very rarely seem to have the luck of coming in possession of anything rare or desired (such as usable steel cranks or 4-bolt big blocks).

What factory applications got 4-bolts? 1.5 ton rated trucks and up?

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

no idea /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    all i know is it is going into a 1940 chevy coupe with a th400 and 4 link 12 bolt with mustang front sitting on air bags and big wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. mountainexplorer

You'll have to post some pics. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif