Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sb400 OIL PAN

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Chris1972, May 27, 2001.

1. Chris1972

Chris1972 Registered Member

Are there any diferences between a SB400 oilpan and from a 350 engine????? How can i tell them apart????
    Also what is a good price for a used Dana60 front axle???

Chris

www.broadpark.no/~csteinsv/

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Chris, might want to post this on the main 4x4 board as it is not really an ORD question. I believe the oil pan is the same for both the 400 and 350, but am not sure. Post over there and someone will know for sure.

As far as a Dana 60 goes, if you get a rebuilder (decent shape) for $750 you are lucky.................most cores even are going for $500 needing full rebuilds. Getting a D60 in good shape will cost you minimum $1000 up to around $2000............all US funds of course. Good luck............put a D60 in my K5 last weekend.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I have a sb400 too, but that's beside the point. I'm 95% sure there is no difference however let me tell you one thing I learned from working on a 305. Apparently there are 2 different types of oil pans that will bolt up. The difference is the space between the timing chain cover and the pan. One leaves a larger gap than the other. The good news is that they make a thicker gasket for it so problem solved. Recommendation: buy both types of gasket kits and return the one you don't use.

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Most gasket kits come with both the thicker and the thinner front gasket for exactly what you're talking about.

All SB Chevy oil pans are identical except that the 80-85s use a passenger side dipstick, and the 86 and later ones use 1 piece oil pan gaskets and rear main seals.

If I were removing an oil pan, I'd definitely put out the $30 for the Fel-Pro 1 piece oil pan gasket for older engines. It's worth every penny and it eliminates oil leaks.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The other replies sum it up

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD