Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sb406 cam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Jul 24, 2004.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I am looking to do a cam shaft in my SB406. It is stock spec right now, but I have built the motor with good pistons, intake, modified stock heads, and other components. I hear the cam is holding me back. What company do you recommend? And what lift/duration would you run if you wanted the most power, not much worse mileage, no more engine mods, and if it still had to pass Smog every two years? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The best thing to do in my opinion, would be to call CompCams and tell them the info on your motor and they'll get you the best cam for what your looking for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Cam is definetally something you need to change to make some more power. Comp Cams is where I'd be looking. As for emissions, no idea, I'm no where near CA and have no idea how your testing goes.
    http://www.compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/128-169.asp
    I'd say the X4250H, it is the mildest 4x4 Extreme Energy cam. Maybe rjfguitar will reply, hes always going on about his badass 406 and hes from CA.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Comp cams part # cca-12-210-2 which is the high energy 268H cam. It is about the biggest cam you can get that comes with a carb # and it works excellent in my 406 and it sounds like your motor is basically built about the same as mine. It's a good cam with a mild idle that lobes just a little but makes tons of torque from about 2000-5500 RPM's. Good throttle response and I get about 8-12mpg. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif