Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SBC 400 heads on sbc 350? and other motor questions HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Nov 15, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Can I use my heads off my 400 sbc on the 350 I am building?

Some one said I could but I cant remember the rest...

What about the cam? Lifters?

The heads are 76 cc so can I get soem higher compression pistons to raise the compression to get it above 9 to 1 I was told if I use the heads (76cc) with stock pistons I will get sh!tty compression therefore lack of power, compression builds power...

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

With 76cc heads, stock pistons will give you around 8.5:1. Cast iron heads can be tuned to 9.5:1 on pump gas pretty easily and aluminum up to around 10.5:1 under light vehicle weight. The only difference between the 400 heads and other 76cc 350 heads that I'm aware of is the steam holes. Most piston manufacturers can provide a piston either dished / flat topped or domed to achieve your desired compression ratio with your setup and intended use.

3. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

If you use a non 400 head on a small block you have to have it drilled for steam holes, no prob puting 400 heads on a 350 other than they are pretty natrious for most of em being crappy flowing. Now would be the time to upgrade to some nice sportsmans or iron egal.

Compression will be low with most factory pistons, you can get new ones to boost it/and or have your heads milled to take some volume out of it.

This sounds like a very low buck rebuild though, if you are trying to save 120$ on a cam/lifter set.

A flat tappet cam can be reused if <font color="red">the lifters go on the exact same cam lobe they cam off of </font color>. All small block cams will go into each other like all BBC cams will interchange with BBC's(well there are a few wierd things for some early ones but those are a rarety)

What parts do you have/what do you want it to do and whats your budget?

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

well my 400 sbc has a comp cam in it with about 10,000 on it.... so i'd like to use it.. if not i will buy a new one...
    I'm probably gonna bore the block 30 over and go with new pistons...
    Brands on pistons?

5. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Go with hyperutectic(sp?) Stronger than regular cast and they dont expand like forged so you dont have to run the loser clearances. Kiethblack has some nice/fairly cheap pistons.

Buy them at the machine shop. Most shops will cut you a deal if you buy from them(around here most will charge you moreif all you get is the machine work from them) and you should take the pistons to them anyway for them to do the final/finish hone.

Cam for a 400 might not be the best for your new app but thats your call.

Why you ditching the 400 if its a fairly fresh motor?

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

there
    's a piston in 1.5 million pieces, a rod at a 20 degree bend and a hole in 4 cylindar i can get 5 fingers into /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

My dad said he put 400 heads on the 350 in his old blazer.

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Yeah the machine shop guy said it wont be a problem.. they are actually 350 heads soem oen drilled out to work on a sbc 400... he said to use a headgasket to a 350 and they will work fine.... Gonna mill them down to get better compression and use some flattop pistons to help also the heads are 76cc heads.... and I want to up the compression to 9-1