Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SBC 427 ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shane74, Sep 15, 2003.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have heard that there is a kit out there to turn a small block into a 427. A buddy of mine told me about it, but I can't find anything on this. Anybody else hear of this? It's almost rebuild time, so I am looking at many different options before I dump a bunch of $$ into an engine.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, that would be a 400 block witha standard bore and a 4" stroke. There is a 434 which I almost built with my 400 which is a 4" stroke witha .030 overbore. Merlin also came out with their new block that can be bored out to 4.250 with a 4" stroke to make a 454ci SBC /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Check out Bill Mitchell Hardcore Parts Source. They list a 427cid small block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Request a printed catalog. Mine has more parts listed than their website. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

www.speedomotive.com carries a bunch of different stroker kits for small blocks ranging from 406ci to 481ci - I went 415ci which could still be run on a standard block, the rest require tall deck blocks to build from.

SB CHEVY 450 CUBIC INCH DAILY DRIVER CRANK KIT
    CHEVY 421* RACING ASSEMBLY
    CHEVY 434 RACING ASSEMBLY*
    450 CID SMALL BLOCK CHEVY DAILY DRIVER CRANK KIT
    SB CHEVY 481 CUBIC INCH ALL FORGED CRANK KIT

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies! I'll have to look up the parts and see what I can do! I'd love top have BB displacement with the weight of a SB!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i know there's 421" LS1 engines running around in camaros...talk about a sick sbc..

7. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hope you have more time than I do. I spent 6 months waiting for parts from speedomotive.

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I am just doing the research right now. I'll either go with a wild sbc build up (anywhere from the 383-427 range), or build a mild 350 and stuff a small blower on it. From what I can tell, a blower is actually the most dependable cost effective power you can buy. Building the engine for them is also relatively cheap (in comparison to a hi-perf. sbc). I am not sure what I am going to do yet, but I'll keep everyone posted! I need to find a cheap 4 bolt main 350 core first. That way I can take my time and build it right and not have to do it all in a mad weekend rush!

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

with a 427, better save some money for some heads that can breathe.....