Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SBC engine placement

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, Jun 14, 2005.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I swear it looks like the engine is sitting to far back, two other guys at the shop with 1st gens and both are BBC powered say that their valve covers and HEI distributor is nowhere as close to the firewall as mine.
    Can someone with a SBC give me a rough estimate on the distance between thiers?

I put the x-member back just the way it came out but the PO had just replaced it, I'm sorta wondering if he put it in backwards. :confused:
    It was quite an ordeal to get everything lined up.
    Thanx

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well all I can offer is what I remember. I had enough room from the front of my engine to the rad to install a BM150 electric fan and run a large Flex-A-light clutch fan so mine did sit way back. Without the fans I could stand between the engine and rad..
    Good Luck

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Oh ya my BBC is WAY closer to the RAD than the SBC was....

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My spark plug wires touch the firewall. :doah:

The engines in 67-72 4X4's sit further back than the 2wds. I have heard that the was done to make the front driveshaft as long as possible. :D

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

The engine will be close enough to the firewall that an HEI distributor will barely fit - sometimes a little massaging actually has to be done to the firewall. So yep, the engine sits way back.

The engine was placed so far back to allow the front driveshaft to be longer and possibly to give more clearance between the oil pan and the axle.

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Cool thanx, was just wondering if that was the norm. :thumb: