Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SBC Headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lee, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Any recomendations on what type of headers to use on my new sbc???? I can go with hugger geaders where the flange is pointing downward...or....longer type headers with the flanges aiming back at the tail of the truck... I assume 15/8's is the usual primary tube size for a 350 header....

Lee

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used the full length headers, 1 5/8" primaries. I've used two different brands and had clearnace issues with both at the shackle for the front springs on the passenger side. Block huggers would not have this problem.

Full length would flow better though. All I did was used a 3 foot long pry bar to bend the tubes slightly to gain clearance at the shackle.

A 4 barrel carb and decent manifold would go nicely with the headers...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

When you say "full lenght" you mean brands like Hooker and the like(?) have you used JBA style "shorties" and had this problem?

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I haven't used the shorties, but I'd guess you wouldn't have a clearance issue with them. Mine were Flo-techs...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

I had the same clearance issues with the full length headers Rene spoke of but my biggest problem was the leakage from the collector. I solved it by using a set from a 1993 K5 that were like 3/4 length and had the Buick ball collector. I believe this is the same design as the JBA ones but you can get them from other companies for way cheaper. The other mod was to move the O2 sensor bung (if you need it) around the tube so it doesn't hit the frame. Hope this helps.
    David

6. Lee

Lee Registered Member

"Preciate you fellas answering my question....

Lee

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I have a set of headers made for a '67 camaro installed for a "mock-up", they clear and fit pretty good. Not too close to the frame, motor mounts or shackles. They'er also a bit higher up in the frame than some of the other "truck" headers I've seen. Plug acsess sucks, but thats part of the game with headers.

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC at 6,000 RPMs:
    2- The piston travels from O to 60 MPH to 0 in just .005 of a sec. and in just 7 inches.