Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SBC oil filter adapter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZK5, Sep 15, 2003.

1. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

I 've never heard of this before but I was told that this part exists... Is there an oil filter adapter for SBC's that changes the the filters profile from vertical to horizontal? If so, who makes it and is there a web link to it? I've gotta see this thing. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AND NO it's not a relocator kit that Trans dapt ,that relocates the filter with a remote base and hoses. This is supposed to be just an aluminum screw on adapter that changes the filters orientation.

Thanks

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I have never seen it but why would you want it.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

interesting..

how would oyu run exhaust then and also you wouldnt be able to run a 2 quart filter if it was sideways, or at least it would come out damn close to frame i would think, cant say ive seen or heard of such a thing for chevy engines, and thats after years of countless sbc related searches and researches on countless subjects.

hmm..

should be interesting.. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look under an IFS truck. Our '94 Suburban has the "sideways filter" to make room for the front driveshaft. Only problem is, it also uses the same tiny filter that our '91 S-Jimmy 4.3 Liter V6 uses. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif At least on the S-Jimmy they moved the filter up onto the fenderwell, so it's easy to change. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif With the filter mounted sideways on the Sub, oil runs all over the %$#& place when you unscrew the filter. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not to mention that once that driveshaft spins it'll sling oil all over the place if you use 4wd after changing the filter.

6. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

good points and my 88 truck with ifs dose have it just never relized it.

7. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

for my 99 tahoe i bought a plastic thing that slips over the driveshaft to redirect the oil that comes pouring out when you unscrew the filter.i got it from snap-on but it was out of one of those other catalogs my guy has(not actually a snap-on tool)thats why it was only 10 bucks i think?anyway it works well i dont have to wipe oil off everything or put down a bag of oil dry every time i change oil.just thought id let you know whats out there!!

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't drive that IFS trash anyway I just used to work at Jiffy Lube. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how would you run exhaust then and also you wouldnt be able to <font color="red"> run a 2 quart filter</font> if it was sideways

[/ QUOTE ] Hey what is the filter number are you using that is a true 2 quart filter? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

PF 35, even better, PF 35L....

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone know the NAPA Gold equivalent of the PF 35L? I refuse to run a Fram filter after disassembling one..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

PF is an AC Delco filter...not a Fram. Fram doesn't make a 2 quart filter that I know of, and their numbers start with PH, not PF.

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OOPS! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    You're right about the PF/PH thing. Funny thing is, when I typed that post I actually typed PH instead of PF. My brain was telling me something, I just wasn't listening very well... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    And I THINK Fram makes a 2qt filter for the SBC app., I seem to recall seeing the huge "Danger Orange" can under my uncle's Sub. I don't know that P/N, though.

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    PF is an AC Delco filter...not a Fram. Fram doesn't make a 2 quart filter that I know of, and their numbers start with PH, not PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

PH373 is Fram's 2qt filter.

PF932 is AC Delco's

51794 is Wix's

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

i just saw something like that today when i was looking through my 1991 R/V series GM factory service manual. i saw the pictures. there might have been one from the factory that way.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    OOPS! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    You're right about the PF/PH thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd hope I'm right, I sell auto parts. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dont like to use fram or any cheep filters after the Wix factory rep cut some open with a pipe cutter and showed us the difference between Wix and the other brands--many of our bargain brands like champ and group 7 had better construction than the fram's.I think you pay for the name not quality!.But he did say if you change the oil every 2-3000 miles,it doesnt matter that much--but for 2 bucks more,I'll stick with Wix or AC filters--they have the check valves and everything as oem specified.