Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SBC oil leak ?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 Shortbox, Jul 24, 2002.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I have a leak on my truck that has got me wondering. It is coming out of what looks like a blind tapped hole. There are actually 2 of these holes vertical of one another, and are located on the front of the block below the alternator and just an inch or two beside the timing cover. My question is what are these holes for and more importantly why do I have oil leaking out of one of them? It is a 1976 block if that helps. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

IIRC the two holes are down by the fuel pump. One goes to the backside of the casting (into air) the other goes into the block (oil passage) and is used to hold the fuel pump push rod (for those with mechanical fuel pumps) during installation. You use a long bolt to hold it in position, install the pump and then replace the long bolt with a short one (using some sort of thread sealant to prevent leaks). If there is no bolt, put one in with sealant, and if there is a bolt, take it out, clean it, put sealant on it, and reinstall. I have seen one engine where the block was porous/cracked and it leaked there (hopefully that is not what happened to you). Good luck, let us know how you make out.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if that is the only leak in your SBC you are a lucky man

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif