Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SBC timing question - timing mark is WAY off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jun 24, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Okay... just built a beefy 305 for my MGR's 85 Monte Carlo. When we went to check timing during the cam break in, the mark is sitting around 12 o'clock on the balancer, no where near the timing indicator! What is that about? I have seen it on other engines too after cam swaps and distributor removal and installation.

The car runs fine, and can idle around 650RPM. But I still don't really like that the timing mark reads SO far before TDC. Suggestions?

Thanks all!

-Dan

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe a non stock balancer or a non stock timing cover...

You could verify where TDC is and then have a look where the timing mark on the balancer is. That should give you a good idea of where the timing really is.

Rene

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

They made two stlye dampers. One with a the mark two degrees before the keyway and the corresponding timing tab over to the right. The also made one later on with the mark 10 degrees before the keyway and the timing tab in the middle. You have to have the correct crank, damper, and timing cover for it to line up right.

Buy a do-dad called a piston stop to time it up. I'm sure you've heard of it, but if you haven't (forgive the overdone explinations I give). Its a stop that goes in the spark plug hole and has a piece of soft metal sticking out of it. You can adjust how far the metal comes out on some. The idea is to make it just long enough that the piston stops a little bit before TDC. You make a mark on your damper where your timing tab says zero. Then you take the engine and rotate it around the opposite way until it stops again and make another mark where it says zero. Exactly halfway between these marks will be TDC.

4. KRAZIE87K5

I should explain more... the timing cover was replaced, as was the balancer. The timing indicators are in the SAME place they were on the old cover, so thats prolly not it. Must be that the indicator on the new balancer is one of the "other" kinds made, and is in a different location than the stock balancer? Thats crazy... guess I'll just turn the timing up as far as I can, until we hear it pinging nuder load and then turn it back just a tiny bit! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I just thought that MAYBE I had made a silly mistake somewhere, and needed someone to point it out to me. Glad that's not the case! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

BTW - The crank sprocket was installed at 0*, not at +/- 4* for those that might ask that question. Besides, its off WAY more than 4*! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. tRustyK5

If you do the piston stop thing Blazer Boy was talking about you can make a new 0* mark on the balancer so it can be timed acurately with a timing light...A thin line in white paint would be good.

The new balancer probably has the mark in a different spot than the old one.

Rene

6. KRAZIE87K5

And I can just go buy something like that where? Not trying to complain, just that I haven't seen something like that before... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Thx guys.
    -Dan

7. tRustyK5

You could do it another way too. Use a small wooden dowel that fits through the spark plug hole. Turn the motor by hand until it stops because the piston is hitting the wooden dowel. Make a mark on the balancer. Now turn it backwards until it stops again and make another mark TDC is exactly half way between the marks...and you didn't have to go buy a tool.

Rene

8. KRAZIE87K5

9. KRAZIE87K5

okay... so now what if I used the indicator to set the distributor in place? I use a method that goes like this...

pull #1 plug, insert finger. Bump the engine with the starter until you feel the engine push your finger off the plug bore, and when the mark is near 0*. Move the mark to exactly 0*, and drop in the dist. pointing directly at #1. Install #1 plug, wire the dist., and start the engine with timing light in had to make fine adjustments.

Having used this theory... wouldn't my timing be off too since the crank mark is off so far? Follow what I am getting at? If not let me know, and I will try to clarify...

Thx again... keep the posts coming.

-Dan

10. tRustyK5

If the balancer mark is incorrect you wouldn't be able to fine tune with a timing light. You need to verify TDC and make a new mark so you can use the timing light.

You could always pull the balancer and timing cover off and line it up to number one using the dots on the timing and crank gears...then without turning the motor over re-install the timing cover and balancer and then make a new mark/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

11. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hook up a vacuum gauge and keep speeding the timing up until it hits its highest reading. Then retard the timing 1" on the gauge to be safe. Should get you right in the area for now.

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my timing is also off by about 15 degrees.i just turn the distributor until it sounds good then take it out on the road and run it and change timing untill it feels like i have it set right.i know its not the right method but it works for me since when i put it at stock timing it has no power /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif