Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SBC Valve sequence question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rafterman191, Nov 27, 2006.

1. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

I found the answer to this question a month before I needed it and now I can't find it on the net anywhere. I need the intake/exhaust valve sequence in a sbc. Cyl# 1,3,5,7 are IEEIIEEI for purely example (I don't know if that is correct probably not).

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

EIIEEIIE is the sequence from either end of the head, this goes the same for the passenger side as well.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Another way to adjust the valves is to turn the motor over to TDC (both valves closed on #1) and adjust both valves on #1. Then rotate the motor 1/4 turn and adjust #8. Continue through the firing order until all the valves are adjusted.

I like this method better because it assures both valves are closed regardless of how much duration the cam has.

4. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Another way of adjusting them is turning the motor over until the adjacent valve is just starting to head back down its lobe, then you adjust the other valve.. like this, do number 1 first, wait until no.1 intake is coming off its ramp, then do no.1 exhaust, and vice versa, we used to do it this way on the monster trucks when i worked with them and it worked great as you can have someone just bump the motor over... Nate

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

also, the distributor rotor should be pointing at the cylinder that you're working on. i always run em 3 times, just to make sure.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That statement is very wrong. A cam with lots of duration will have both valves open at TDC for a short period of time.

7. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

A cam with lots of duration would have both valves open at the top of the compression stroke? As in just before the plug fires? Sounds wrong to me.

I understand that there is valve overlap at the top of the exhaust stroke, but that is not TDC.

9. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

with the valve cover off you can see which valves are in next to the exhaust ports easily.

10. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

YES! this is exactly what I used and it works great.

11. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

That is the way I was going to do it but other stuff I had read stated that exact TDC is hard to find and suggested the opposite method that I described earlier. Nutty how many different ways I have ran into since searching for it.