Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scam or not?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Jun 2, 2004.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Anyone ever hear of Quixtar? My friend has gotten into this and is all gung ho about how it'll make him rich. He has some CD's with motivational speakers on them I listened too because I asked him about the "company". Frankly, it sounded like a bunch of crap to me. All these people blabbering on forever about how rich you are gonna be if you apply yourself with their company by doing certain things with them. I think it's some pyramid scheme or something along those lines. Your success depends on those who you recruit from the way I understand it. I consider my friend to be a smart person, but I think he's suckered here. Anyone know anything about them or what? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

It works /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Hers what You do. Go to Staples and buy a whole but load of blank cassets then make up some speach and record it. Now make a copy on all those blanks. Now sell all the blanks for $100 a pop and enjoy the profits /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Just think 10 tapes could fetch a Dana 60 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Lies can be rewarding /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ChevyCaGal

It seems weird listening to the CD's. It was my friend, me and another person listening to them. The whole time I was like get real. My other friend who knew nothing of it was like this sounds great. So I can see how they get people sucked in. Later on I asked him about it more and I guess some others we are mutual friends with are into too (he's their sponsor). I consider him and these others smart. Which is funny, because first thing I thought, they can't be that smart to be suckered in here. Yet they are well educated people.

The thing that worried me is all CD's, books and seminars they have and basically make you dependant too. Then in the CD's I heard all these people basically putting a Christian twist on it. I knew that's why he probably bought into and the others we're friends with. We all go to church together (or a church in the area). So God in our lives is important and they know this and feed off of it. They are using God to sucker them. The CD's kept hammering on people will doubt you, ignore them, people will say this is a scam, ignore them.... for me, huge alarms going off. The CD's also focused on how people failed all the time, but stuck with it then made it. Oh, the levels all had cute names, and rewards for reaching them.... I was like it's like a bad version of Amway or something.

The thing that worries me is I know he's losing money with them... I really don't want to see him losing more. And hearing him talk about the things he wants to do when he reaches certain levels, makes me sick to know he's going to fail. I wish I knew of how to approach this in a way where I could come off as a friend who cares, not "one of the doubters" the stupid CD has hammered into him.

4. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Quixtar is the internet version of Amway. They sell alot of Amway products and the sales pitch is exactly the same.

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

"You will be rich" is the dead givaway that they don't have faith in their products so they try to appeal to a persons greed.

Anyone starting a business of any kind should make a business plan using realistic numbers. List its competitive advantages and disadvantages and make a sound decision based on something more concrete than "you'll make millions". You will not only be risking your time and money, but that of your friends you recruit.

Also be aware that the Business Support Materials Arbitration Agreement (BSMAA) you sign to join Amway/Quixtar binds you to arbitration and silence should you be cheated in the business. Quixtar claims that Business Support materials are backed by a 100% money back policy. There is no real policy that guarantees your money back, just read the BSMAA. Their arbitration is also more expensive than going to court. Arbitration by Quixtar's exclusive firm JAMS/Endispute Inc costs $400/hour. Welcome to the family. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Here are a few places on the 'Net that have information on Quixtar:

MLM Survivor.com

The Skeptics Dictionary

MSNBC Special Report
    MSNBC Interview with a Distributor

Short answer: It's Multi-Level Marketing with all the good and bad associated with it.

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

One of my friends got into this real hard. Tried to get me into it and I showed him the Google results of how its Amway and a wast of time and money. He didnt believe me or any real life testimonials and now he has no money and does not like to talk about it. He worked it hard for about a year.

I think the only people getting rich are the people who started it all and are just collecting the dues and startup money.

There's another one called Herbalife or something like that. Vitamins and weight loss and feel good pills. They were trying to sell me some for what seemed like good prices untill I did a search on Ebay and found enough to plug a river.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    They are using God to sucker them.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Selling sex, selling God...the numbers are the same on the credit card" (Queensryche)

Rene

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Lots of Mormons seem to do this around here /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

One of my friends turned into a mormon and got married 6 months later to a guy she met soon after turning into a mormon who is doing the whole Quixtar crap...

I've sat through three "business planning" sessions... Heard about how rich I'll get, ate and drank all the free disgusting crap samples, listened to all the CD's, and still I get people asking me if I want to do it... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyway, I personally know 5 people who do this, all of them are those crazy mormon types. Not saying being mormon has anything to do with being gullible... But look at the facts /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. ChevyCaGal

None of us are Mormon. But they sure play up the God thing, and do it in a non denominational way. So I can see how Mormons could be pulled in like anyone else.

10. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Lots of Mormons seem to do this around here /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

One of my friends turned into a mormon and got married 6 months later to a guy she met soon after turning into a mormon who is doing the whole Quixtar crap...

I've sat through three "business planning" sessions... Heard about how rich I'll get, ate and drank all the free disgusting crap samples, listened to all the CD's, and still I get people asking me if I want to do it... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyway, I personally know 5 people who do this, all of them are those crazy mormon types. Not saying being mormon has anything to do with being gullible... But look at the facts /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy Cap, I might have to start spreading Wyoming stereotypes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I live in a predominantly Mormon community and have never been approached by anyone about Quixtar. And, I am not quite sure what a "crazy mormon type" is.

Like was said before, any business opportunity needs to be thoroughly investigated before making a decision. Anyone who pressures you to make a quick decision and promises to make you rich is probably just blowing sunshine.

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Had a friend who got into this, wasted some money and some time, and pulled his head out of his a$$ and got out of it.

Anytime you have to pay someone for the secret to getting rich, it's a scam. If it was making Carllton Sheets rich doing that crap foreclosed property buying scam, why is he selling the secrets instead of just doing it MORE to make himself richer.

Always a phrase to remember: "TANSTAAFL"

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Just kidding about the crazy mormons... I work with a good chunk of the Mormon population of Cheyenne, good bunch of folks... In fact, my brother and his family-in-law are mormon /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif But it's just so easy to crack jokes about them because for the most part they're all eccentric and over-excited about everything /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Let's hear some Wyoming stereotypes if ya got em /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

Yea this quickstar is the same as amway. from what i under stand they had to change the name because to many branches of the amway made a bad name for them self.
    my mom is in the buisness has been fo about 5 years now tryed to get me in i thought it looked really good on paper the numbers were preaty tempting but the only thing i didn't like is the fact that you had to rely on all the other people under your in you chain of buis to make your money /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif(people aren't that reliable it seems if they don't see results now there outathere /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)you can't bust you a$$ by yourself and get results.
    not all the products are bad (the cleaning,lawndery,makeup, just to name a few are good) but some arent great. i think my mom dosn't loose money any more probably just brakes even but the good thing about it is when tax season comes around you have all the buisnes rightoffs that you can get when you own a buisness /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif makes for a nice check once a year from th gov thats the only sweet part. the guy that got my mom in worked at it for about 10years before he could quit his job and just run the buis so it takes a lot of time to find the right people. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif you have to be a smooth talker and good peoples person (my mom is nither /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) my brother tryed it and he did really good for awhile got lots of people in and was going for it but they couldn't sell or buy enough (he was 18)then some droped out and well that was the end.
    if you could get all your friends to sign up AT ONCE (you need about 20 i think /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)then get them to buy or sell a certen number of products over a month or two you probably see a big check or two /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

you too can be rich by selling these get rich fast tapes