Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

scammed on my 1st purchase-ebay

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHAWNSTER, Oct 16, 2006.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

so i tried to buy a total of 11 parts for my 62 lac and after i paypal the money - nothing ever shows up, tried emailing seller like 10 times with no response until yesterday- I paid $120 shipped, sunday the guy emails me and tells me i owe him an additional $125 for the parts and shipping b4 he will ship out. So i contact ebay and paypal, later that day, i got an email from ebay about he was suspended the same night after my transaction, does not says why, ,Im told he is actually in china, not OH like the ad says, then i get an email from the seller telling me if I withdraw my complaint he will ship it out for our original $120-yeah right my 1st purchase and this crap happens, and it was an ok deal for parts, a few trim peices and light bezels and misc stuff mine is missing-hope i get my $$ back on my cc soon. thanks for reading also turns out the car says its in OH but the guy is in CHINA

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Call your Credit Card company. I've always heard that they're really good when it comes to this type of thing.

3. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

i called them already

i contaced ebay, paypal, and my credit card yesterday, the cc says they have to wait 3 days till it shows up, it was not on there yet.

4. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Now I know why Ive never had Ebay or Paypal. They use to be decent years back, but so many ppl have been scammed it aint funny. I know there are some good deals but Ill pass. Ive looked on there hoping to find some sellers with legit businesses that I can jus go thru instead of ebay, its hit or miss.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What did his buyer feedback look like?

That's an important tool, but not always foolproof.

6. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

he had a 100% feedback and a member for over a year- so I thought it would be ok

7. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have been doing a lot of ebay purchases (140) in the last year. Only got pricked once and it was a jerk seller because he didn't pack item right. But payPal refunded cost of item.

I am in Ohio and stay clear of companies that list:

Item location:Nationwide Distribution Centers, United States

These car parts wholesellers and auto world scare me. Yea the whole feedback / complaint hostage thing is pia. NEVER withdraw a complaint with payPal as it closes case and you can not reopen.

Tell the nice man that you plan to contact the FBI's internet crime investigators http://www.ic3.gov and when you receive your items that you will be happy to give him a good review (lie) and withdraw you complaint at that time also (it will be closed).

Sorry to hear your loss but hang in there and DO NOT withdraw complaint.

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I contact every seller before I bid on anything. just ask any question. It weeds out the guys who don't watch their auctions. I have gotten responses days after something ends even when I asked the questions 5 days before it ended. there are a lot of good sellers out there. I'm one of them. but I sell stuff off my truck that I don't use anymore. I know what it is, how it works, how to install it. and I wouldn't sell anything that I wouldn't be happy with if I bought it.

Greatlakeoffroad is a lousy seller. I bought a clocking ring off of him and was not happy. I finally got him on the phone after several voicemails. He didn't offer me any solutions, and admitted that he didn't make the part or even see it before it shipped out. Tried to blame the quality on some guy in his machine shop.

I haven't bought anything from him yet but Kert at DIY4x responded immediately to my email and sent pictures of his stuff installed so I could see how it fit/worked.

Communication is everything.

9. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

X2

I have been doing buisness on ebay for several years and have only expierianced 1 problem just weeks ago. Someone broke into my account and listed a bunch of crap for sale. Ebay suspended my account almost immiediatly. Matter of fact, they discovered the activity before I did!

I always check for a high feedback rateing and recommend to a new ebayer to start by making purchases from ppl who have lots of transactions under their belts. It really is just a gamble in the end tho.

10. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

You have his account locked up with this complaint and he cannot get any money out and he knows it. Do NOT withdraw the complaint until you receive the item or Paypal gives you your money back. I have had this exact same thing happen on another board, arf for those that go there, and I did get my money back the next day. The scammer agreed to my complaint and paypal gave the money back to me. The reason he agreed? He could not get to his funds, the whole account was locked. No money in or out... This was several years ago before paypal went all out anti 2nd and things may have changed since then.

11. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had a guy not ship something that I had bought he lost it or something ended up putting in a complaint and they got me some money and then he found it and shipped it so it worked out for me I even even sent him
    his money back. Communication is the key

12. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Deal with your CC first and know eBay/PayPal will cover their butt and sell you down the river.

They COST me money.

Bought a used Banks Turbo System from a junk yard. Shows up and it's GM and not complete. I email the guy and he's apologetic says there were Banks stickers on the truck:rolleyes::rolleyes: I file a "not as described" with eBay. To eBay the guy says "He knew what he was getting"

I gather lots of info off of eBay to show them that Banks is a brand name and the word BANKS is cast into the housing. I also show what "complete" is. So the seller either doesn't know what he is selling, or is commiting fraud.

eBay won't accept that:doah::doah::mad::mad::mad: They demand I get a third party, company letterhead, opinion which is next to worthless IMHO if I wanted to I could leave parts at home or swap them out:rolleyes:

So I thought "Screw It" and even though it's an hour away I went to Banks Engineering and got the info eBay demanded from the horse's mouth.

Then eBay demands I return ship, on my tab:mad:, before they will "attempt" a refund:haha::haha: Hey, if I decide something doesn't fit, or is the wrong color I can understand having to pay return shipping but when was the last time you ordered something and got the wrong brand and had to pay return shipping?

With each interaction eBay demanded a response within 10 days, yet they took 15 to 20 days to do anything themselves. At every oportunity eBay threatened to close the case if I didn't comply. They also mention frequently they are not liable for anything.

In the end it was over 90 days to conclude the case. The seller had several items on eBay worth quite a bit more than my due. During the "Investigation" he was allowed to conclude that business and when the case was decided in my favor, suprise-suprise, could only refund about 75% of the total.

Some of this was eBay and some was PayPal but since eBay owns PayPal I refered to it only as eBay.

I did make some errors in judgement, pictures were fuzzy, seller was fairly new and had few transactions, etc. That doesn't diminish the fact eBay became a hinderance, was obtuse, and tries to fit every case into a form & set response.

Next time I'll call my credit card company first.

13. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

ebay trying to give me the shaft

according to ebay this transaction took place outside of ebay, but when i won the auction, i did the pay now, and it took me to paypal, completed the transaction , and have all documentation on my pc, I ve told them this 4 times, and they keep sending me messages about filing a complaint outside of ebay???? what gives with this?? I will follow up with my cc company tomorrow as of sunday it was not on there yet, and they said wait 3 days and call back

14. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have never bought anything on Ebay. Instances like this are the reason why, and it seems it's becoming more and more frequent. There may be some good deals to be had, but like someone said earlier, "I'll pass".

15. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I've used ebay for years, never had a problem. I have had scammers try to get me, but if you stop and think for a minute, you know in your heart if it is a scam. Sending money hoping it isn't a scam is stupid. If you can't see it clearly, or if your questions go unanswered, don't bid. There was a new ebay store that opened with lots of audio equipment. I sent the seller an email, just touching base with a question that was easy to answer. I got no response, I made no bid. My wife, on the otherhand, has been bitten several times. Usually because she doesn't read the complete auction or doesn't ask any questions.

Just do the same things you would do in any in person transaction. Look real close, ask questions and don't assume ANYTHING. If it's right, it's right. If it's not, it's not.