Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scanners

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 17, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Whats the best brand?
    What are some features to look for?
    Is there a certain size to look for, or are they all generally the same?
    What are some functions to look for?

My mom wants one, so I need to do some research.

Thanks

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

A cheap one so it's not painful after you toss it out the window :haha:

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Made in japan...

I haven't bought a scanner in quite a while,but I might have too soon,since our police and fire dept. expect to move up to the 800 MGHZ band(only 10 years later than nearly all the others!)...

I always bought "Bearcat" scanners,and "Regency",but now Uniden owns Bearcat,and Cobra is another good name brand...just about all of them come from japan now,they used to make Regency in the US,but I dont know if they still do(or if they even EXIST! :eek1: anymore!)..

I got mine from "Scanner World" in New York--took 1 day to get it UPS!..I bought a Regency Scanner with a FM radio built in,with a clock--60 channels(but goes from 50 to 512 MGHZ,and 88-108 MGHZ FM)..for just over 100 bucks in 1992...still works perfect,and its seen some abuse too(had it in my plow truck,runs off 12V and 110V AC!)...its fun to listen to "skip" from california or other states far away that use the same frequency as our state police on the "Low" band this time of year!.. :crazy:

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sorry I should have noted, I meant a computer scanner, to scan pictures from scanner to the computer.

Thanks

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

This is the one I want. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a printer/scanner/copier all in one unit. Mine is a cheaper modle, just a Lexmark X5270. It works for my needs.

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I bought the cheapest HP scanner I could find about 5 years ago. It isn't perfect and I've been waiting for it to die for 4 years. But it works and does everything I need it to do.

I think anymore about 90% of electronic equipment is crap, just decide how much you want to spend on your crap and buy it, if it outlasts the store's return policy you probably got a good one. :crazy:

8. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

why would you do that ???

there's only a couple states that have it illegal to have a scanner while driving, and most give exemption if you are a HAM operator.

http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got an HP 3 in 1. Printer, copier, and scanner all in one and it works great. Cost right around $99 after the rebate. We use it all the time and haven't had a lick of trouble with it...

Rene

10. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I've got a Radio Shack Pro-95

High-performance, extended coverage scanner has the ability to scan both trunked and conventional channels at the same time. It has 1000 memories¿arranged in 10 banks of 100¿and 1000 ID memories that can display your text entries for easier identification of frequencies. The triple conversion circuit and switchable 20dB attenuator cut image-type interference. The display provides four lines of 12 characters and has a push-button backlight with programmable on time. You can search preset non-trunked police/ fire, marine, CB, Ham and VHF-air frequencies for activity. Extended coverage includes CB (AM), 220MHz and 1260MHz Ham bands. Weather alert sounds an alarm and the display indicates level of alert. PC interface permits computer control (software not included) and easy memory cloning with another PRO-95 scanner (cable Cat. No. 42-2420 1/8" mono to 1/8" mono plug, extra).

Gave $150 last year at Radio Shack. I downloaded Win-95 for it, and can program other cities in it with my computer if I am travelling.

You pretty much want to get a trunking scanner to listen to police and fire dept. Digital trunking is a step above, but cost more. They are not digital here yet, so I didn't bother going that route.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

whoops!....

Sorry 84 GMC Jimmy,I thought you meant POLICE scanners! :doah: --I might hold off buying one,because you hardly hear any police activity on them anymore--our town has computers and cell phones in every cruiser,and they use them a lot more that the regular 2 way radio,to avoid giving crooks with scanners an "edge"..with "trunking",800 mghz band,and everything else,its nearly impossible to hear both sides of a conversation on police scanners anymore...kind of a waste to buy one,if your not going to hear most of the activity..

I have a HP scanner for my computer--I paid about 50 bucks for it--I think it worked twice. :mad: ..havent bothered to "install" it to this computer!..I consider it a waste of money...if I could use it to "scan" a snapshot photo,then be able to post it on CK5,I would use it--but I dont think you an do that with it..what else can they do??..I used mine as a copier machine a few times,then it wouldn't work anymore... :crazy:

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

HP scanners are usually pretty problem free and reasonable on price.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I really don't have any ambition to listen to what is going on when I'm not working.......................

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'm lucky , many local agencies use some frequencies just above 2 meters . So I can use my HT's .

There are others above 460 mhz . And some private ops around 853 mhz .

My Alinco will only receive , but my older Kenwood will transmit on them , but I don't use it anymore since I have to use dip switches to set my tones anyway .

I can hear all these on my side of town , either at home or at work . I only do it when somethings happening . Its more of a peeping tom curiosity more than anything .

Apache Junction

Local Fire Department-------150.790-------Apache Junction, Arizona
    Local Fire Department-------154.295-------Apache Junction, Arizona
    Local Fire Department-------154.325-------Apache Junction, Arizona

Chandler

Ch.1 Chandler Alarm ------- 154.430 ------- Repeater
    Ch.2 Backup Repeater 2 ------- 155.955 ------- Repeater
    Ch. 3 Talkaround 1 ------- 154.430 ------- Simplex
    Ch. 4 Mutual Aid ------- 154.280 ------- Simplex
    Ch. 5 Talkaround 2 ------- 155.955 ------- Simplex
    Ch. 6 Hazmat ------- 155.865 ------- Simplex

Fort McDowell

Ch. 2 Rural Metro FD, Main Dispatch-------154.370-------Fort McDowell, Arizona
    Ch. 3 Rural Metro FD, Drills,Misc.-------154.385-------Fort McDowell, Arizona
    Ch. 4 Rural Metro FD, Fireground-------154.400-------Fort McDowell, Arizona
    Ch. 5 Rural Metro FD, Mutual Aid-------154.280-------Fort McDowell, Arizona

Gilbert

Ch. 1 Mesa Dispatched, Main -------154.340-------Gilbert, Arizona
    Ch. 2 Mesa Dispatched, Fireground-------154.235-------Gilbert, Arizona
    Old VHF Simplex-----------154.115-------Gilbert, Arizona

Mesa

Ch. 1 Mesa FD, Main Dispatch-------154.340-------Mesa, Arizona
    Ch. 2 Mesa FD, Fireground-------154.235-------Mesa, Arizona
    Ch. 3 Mesa FD, Fireground-------153.950-------Mesa, Arizona
    Ch. 4 Mesa FD, Mutual Aid-------154.280-------Mesa, Arizona
    Ch. 5 Mesa FD, Hazardous Materials-------154.010-------Mesa, Arizona
    Ch. 6 Mesa FD, unknown-------154.175-------Mesa, Arizona
    Ch. 7 Mesa FD, unknown-------154.205-------Mesa, Arizona

Scottsdale

Ch. 1 Rural Metro FD, Main Alarm Dispatch-(simplex)-------153.890-------Scottsdale, Arizona
    Ch. 2 Rural Metro FD, Main Alarm Dispatch-(repeater)-------154.370-------Scottsdale, Arizona
    Ch. 3 Rural Metro FD, Drills/Fire/Training-------154.385-------Scottsdale, Arizona
    Ch. 4 Rural Metro FD, Fireground-------154.400-------Scottsdale, Arizona
    Ch. 5 Rural Metro FD, Mutual Aid-------154.280-------Scottsdale, Arizona
    Ch. 6 Rural Metro FD, Talkaround-------151.865-------Scottsdale, Arizona
    Ch. 7 Rural Metro FD, Administration-------460.625-------Scottsdale, Arizona
    Ch. 9 Rural Metro Ambulance ------- 155.235 ------- Dispatch

Tempe

Ch. 1 Phoenix FD Dispatched, Main-------154.190-------Tempe, Arizona
    Ch. 2 Phoenix FD Dispatched, Operations-East-------154.250-------Tempe, Arizona
    Ch. 4 Phoenix FD Dispatched, Mutual Aid-------154.280-------Tempe, Arizona
    Ch. 7 Phoenix FD Dispatched, Ops-Tempe-------154.145-------Tempe, Arizona
    Ch. 8 Phoenix FD Dispatched, Ops-Tempe backup-------153.770------Tempe, Arizona