Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scanners

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BlazerGuy, Jul 14, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What kind do yall have? How much did it cost? I want one so I will where those cops are within a 3 mile radius. I saw a Uiden(sp?) piece for $300 at Sears.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I've got a Uniden handheld and two uniden bearcat base stations & one weird bearcat that looks like a radar detector(forget the #'s). Actually I bought mine at State Auctions. About 1 a month there's a miscellanious surplus auction in lansing & they have confiscated stuff...always lots of scanners, radios & radar detectors. I paid $20 a piece for my scanners. The handheld I saw a best buy for $100 and one of the bearcat's I saw there for $200. There a lot of fun...kinda interesting. I finally found the DNR frequency around here. The only problem I've run into is finding a decent antennae for them. All I've found is one that looks like a cell phone antennae & a really doesn't boost your reception that much. I don't know about where your from but using them here in michigan is illegal, just like a radar detector. IF your caught using it....oh yeah it also cannot be "mounted". I don't have mine mounted yet but planned on putting it in my console...that's where it resides now, but I don't use it much anymore....once in a while on the trails to listen for DNR.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I have a 100 channel programable hand held Uniden with a "rubber ducky" antenna I bought at Radio Shack. It retailed for about $150, but it was on sale for $99. I've had it about a year and a half. As Michigan Blazer said, they're illegal to have in your car unless you have a current ham radio operators licence, you're a cop or fireman or any combination thereof. At least that's the law in Kentucky. There was a guy here in Louisville that was cited a few months ago for having one in his car. Of course, he had a host of other charges pending against him, so it was just insult added to injury. It's kinda like the seat belt law - you won't be pulled over for just that - you need to be doing something stupid and drawing attention to yourself and have an officer see it. Still a good idea to not have it in the car - except for transporting to your destination (campsite, etc.)

Oh yeah - I agree - they ARE fun to listen to. I keep mine on in the kitchen all the time. Drives the "significant other" nuts sometimes!

behemoth K5

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

agree...keep it out of sight. OH yeah, michigan just past a new law a couple of months ago...buckling up is the law and they can stop you JUST for not having your seat belt on. It doesn't bother me none, i wear mine all the time any way.(they save your life ya' know)

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

We've had that dumb law for sometime now, I hate it

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]