Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scanners

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 8BaLL, Mar 1, 2003.

1. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I want to put a police scanner in my truck. What is the best one out there? What should I look for? I have no clue about scanners. How will I power it and what type of antenna do I need? thanks

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

There are plenty of good scanners out there. It really boils down to how many memory channels you want and what type of frequencies your area uses. Most places are going to trunked systems in the 800mhz range. If your area uses trucked systems then you would need a "trunk tracker" scanner made be uniden, bearcat, radioshack.

The antenna also depends on what type of systems you are trying to listen to. Radioshack sells a broadband scanner antenna that works pretty well on most bands.

Powering a scanner is real simple... it only needs 12 volts and normally very little current so it could be wired to a cigarette lighter or just about any switched or un switched 12v source in the vehicle.

Also be aware that many states are outlawing scanners in vehicles unless you are an amatuer radio operator. From what I have found, you're state still allows them but be aware of the laws if you drive from state to state. A quick search on google or any other search engine will show you which states have such laws... just search for "scanner laws"

Check around at some pawn shops. You can normally find good ones there pretty cheap. I picked up a 300 channel radio shack Pro-2050 with "trunk tracker" for $40 a while back.

Radio Shack also sells a book called "Police Call" and "Beyond Police Call" (at least they used to) that lists public service frequencies by city,freq, etc. You can also find frequencies for your area online sometimes or ask a friend that already has a scanner locally.

Good luck and happy scanning.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Look on ebay. You should be able to find one you like.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just bought one on ebay tonight that scans the trunk systems. Real simple unit to use. As well as the trunk systems, it scans the other freqs police and other emergency vichiles use.

5. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

what brand of scanner is it?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Uniden Bearcat

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah I forgot about this place. Ran across it in my favorites today. CityFreq It lists freq's by just about every city/state around and then a few others.

8. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

Say like I got a frequency for Mcdonalds in my town from that website. If I were to get a cb radio with sidebands would I be able to screw with them by talking to them over their drive through radio?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Only if they are using a freq that your radio could transmitt on. Normally places like that would NOT use sideband.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My old Scanner [​IMG] Haven't got a pic of my new one yet.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Here's a 1000 channel hand held one on Ebay you might be intrested in.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My old Scanner [​IMG] Haven't got a pic of my new one yet.

[/ QUOTE ] The scanner is on right now. Ya'know, after awhile, it gets pretty annoying.

13. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

The Uniden Bearcat BCT-7 has worked great for me, good band coverage for the money, small, and it has that highway patrol alert (great companion to a radar detector but believe me, no substitute).