Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scariest 30 seconds of my life

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Listen up boys its story time...and its even truck related:laugh:

I hadnt messed with my 71 C20 in a while. So last night after work I went to napa and picked up a oil filter for it since the oil really needed to be changed and I had been putting it off. I took off from work at 3 and drove the 60 miles back to my parents house for the weekend. I went to start the 71 up.

Wont start...hmm. So i pulled the fuel filter out of the carb and gave her the old suck and blew...:crazy: . Put it back in and when to start it again. Still wouldnt start, what the heck. So i tap on the carb and fuel pump with a wrench...took right off:rolleyes:

I pulled it out of our cold shed and into our heated shop. Started droppin the oil and left to go get the filter out of my blazer. Come back in and sure enough i forget to move the pan over for when the oil would of came straight down.:doah:

I finish the oil change and found a bottle of seafoam i had bought awhile back. Figured what the hell couldnt hurt. I put it in the carb and shut the truck off. I wait the 5 min and go to start it back up. Nothin.

So i pull the filter off again, and tap on the stuff. Would start but only run of a few seconds. Then I notice the fuel line goin into the filter is leakin. I take it off and throw some teflon tape on it, Problem solved started up ran about 20 seconds and died. I noticed the carb was drippin from somewhere near the vacum choke thingy(i dont know much about carbs). I figured to hell with it I deal with it tommorrow im hungry and gonna go eat.

My thought was to just start the truck and pull it ahead...if only it were that simple.

I started cranking it and it wouldnt take off for nothin, im pumpin the gas then i just held it to the floor thinkin I flooded it. Next thing I know i see an orange glow on the wall...DAMNIT.

I grab my sweatshirt and try to snuff it out that sure as hell didnt work, All I could think about was all the pics of burnt up trucks on CK5, and how I was gonna explain to my dad why our 4 car shop was burned down and why the truck my grandpa drey bought new in 71 was destroyed.

I then went for the floor dry, tripin over the floor jack I hadnt put away and smoking my knee on the cement. I got up as fast as i could, which was still pretty slow. Got the floor dry and proceded to pretty much cover the motor in it.

Get this afterwords it started up and ran decent for about a minute before dieing again. Only damage I found that was caused was the throttle cable Ate it. Melted a peice between the carb attachpoint and the little bracket. When I step on the pedal it works, but it wont return to idle by itself. It binds up.

So anyway Carb rebuild kit or soemthing in the future, prolly near future. Hopefully my dad wont be pissed and instead be happy his son got some ambition for once.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

You put the fire out, that's all that matters. :bow: It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Fires are really scary. You never know how fast they'll take off. Usually it's quicker than you'd expect.

Is it a Q-jet? I've seen and had alot with worn out throttle plate bushings. Then they leak fuel out from around there at the base. One friend had so much leak out it ignited under the hood without him noticing and toasted his engine compartment before the fire dept showed up.

Glad to hear you got it put out in time.

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lucky!:eek1: I hate gas, especially when its mixed with fire! Glad to hear you are alright.

5. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Glad you got it out before it went bad. Sorry about the knee.

It reminds me of a trip up to Hollister a few years ago. Some guy had a huge K20 and it had been running crappy all day. It finally died and we got it back to our campsites, his was right next to mine, just outside of the little 4 wheel park they have. Me and my buds were sitting around our fire, it's like 2am and hes still messing with it. Suddenly we hear this WHOOSH and it's becomes light as the brightest day I have ever seen. I immediately felt the heat and looked over at his truck, which engine's compartment is a raging inferno. Everyone starts yelling and running away, screaming "it's gonna blow" (we were all drunk). He and his buds got it out a few seconds later. And surprisingly, it was out pwning people on the trails the next day. It rocked the hillclimb like it wasn't even there.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

piro.. lol thats too bad, sorry to hear you almost burnt the shop down

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

fast thinking,great job saving the gerage and the 71.:waytogo:

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

thanks for the replys guys, makes me feel alot better

son of a bitch started up and idled smooth as can be today:rolleyes:

I think the return spring got to hot and thats why the throttle isnt workin right.

As far as quadrajet or not, I dont know. This is the first V8 gas ive ever ownin in my life, first carburated too. Its a 4 barrel with what looks like vacume actuated secondaries. just runnin the motor with the lid off and lookin at the butterflies they never open up though when i give it gas. But the motor is so old I dont wanna shell it out. Plan now is drive it off and on when im back on weekends to sorta rebrake it in.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hence the value of a small Halon fire extinguisher! :thumb:

j

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Not a good idea indoors. They've stopped selling Halon extinguishers IIRC, but we use the huge 150 lb fire bottles on the flightline :)

They kick ass out in the open.

I guess if you knew you were using Halon, and what it did that it wouldn't be that bad. For those that don't know, Halon displaces oxygen, suffocating the fire... and you.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that is not why they stoped useing halon. Halon is bad for the enviroment and the ozone. halon was really good because it dident suffocate the fire, the stoped the hydrocarbon chains from binding, chemicaly stopping the fire from burning.

and in automatic systems when they would dump in a room, were calculated to leave enuff o2 so it wouldent kill you.

great stuff just the enviro thing. fwi if you rip a halon system out you can get big bucks for the tanks of halon as peole still want it for older systems.

sorry to here about the almost heart atack with the truck, we all need extingushers in out trucks and shops, I need to get on that too!

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I had a fire like that. I was working on a heap and disconnected the fule line and did some work on the motor. I forgot to pull the fuel pump relay and started cranking the motor. Gas hit spark, fire started. Adreneline surge to the MAX.