Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scary Jeep Steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 23, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]

Lets start going down the list. D30 with 33s, hell yea... Renegade Body kit(yes body kit on a lifted jeep).

Now the steering.
    -all joints are Heim joints, approx. 5/8" heims mind you!
    -tie rod bent at both ends, presumably for clearance around that stock D30 cover :dunno:
    -bent ass draglink
    -tie rod mounted drag link(yes this can be acceptable but read the next one to realize why its not here)
    -now when he steers to the right, the tie rod ANGLES DOWN!! When he steers to the left it angles but up!!! Yes because of the bent tie rod and tie rod mounted drag link the tie rod moves up and down before the steering really responds!! How scary is that??? This kid flies around the area too. His rear pinion angle is SKY high, I haven't crawled under it but I bet there is no CV under there.

2. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

I'd never trade my K20 for 5 of those :eek:

3. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I see no problem here

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

33's and a D30 are fine. About a dozen guys in my club run them and some have lockers, a broken stub every once in awhile but nothing to write home about. The steering, however, needs some attention...

5. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

the factory steering on my willys was scary. that set up in the pic just needs some "tweaking" . I have run 33s on my dana 25 for 8 years and have never broke it.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd run 33s on a Dana 30 if it was high pinion and had 297 joints without a slip sleeve passenger shaft.

But that steering is pretty scary. That is common in the club I'm in. They spend big money on tahrs and motor swaps but then run clusterfsck steering complete with heims.