Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scary ride

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 71 Blazer, Jul 9, 2006.

1. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I took my dad for a ride in my Blazer recently. He told my mom that if he didn't make if back, that she shouldn't look for him. It has a 4" suspension lift that is nice and soft, and a 3" body lift. I only have single shocks and no sway bars. The ride scared the crap out of him and I was taking it easy. The locker in the back didn't help for cornering. He used to be into cars years ago, I think he has been out of the game too long.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sometimes a "fresh perspective" can be helpful.....

If EVERYONE that rides in your truck says it's scary, then you should probably take that as a hint......

Unless you're running crossover steering, swaybars are easy to add and will dramatically improve street manners. A set of ORD disconnects will make sure that it's still a flex-monster offroad too.

:usaflag:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

and if you are running crossover and its that loose, look into a panhard setup. I'm trying to set one up now so that I can avoid the issue completely.

4. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I know sway bars would be a big help to correct the problem, but to tell you the truth, the only time it is on the street is to get to an off road place. It spends more time on dirt than tar. That is why I haven't put sway bars on. I never said it scares everyone, just my dad.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I bet you've scared a few motorists on the road behind you on the way to the trails!:haha:

I had an 85 4-runner, 6 inch softrides, 38's, rancho 9012's, no sway bars.
    One time after running a few hot laps in a shifter cart, I remembered I was in my truck when I could almost touch the ground getting on I-25.
    Thank GOD I had open diffs and the passenger tire unloaded or I would have had tasted gravel.

It was fun when I was young, but needless to say my 71 is getting swaybars once I get it completed.

6. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I always drive real easy. I take corners at less than half what I would do in my car, I basically baby her on the roads.