Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

scary sound? HELP?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Mar 4, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

ok, well im driving down the road and when i tap the gas, just real fast, there is a little clunk or thud. it sounds like its coming from the driveshaft. it only does it when i tap thet gas, if i keep my foot into it, this doesnt happen.this noise also happens when i come to a stop real fast. i am wondering if it could be a u-joint or something like that?? please if anybody knows what im talking about help!!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

*almost* sounds like the torque converter clutch. You've checked the driveshaft u-joints for slop already?

Try cruising at 60MPH (or as fast as legally possible) and while maintaining that speed with the accelerator pedal, lightly depress the brake. That should force the converter clutch to unlock, and if it makes the noise at that speed, with light brake apply, then it's probably not anything in the drivetrain short of the converter clutch.

Usually not that audible, but could be I guess.

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey well i havent checked them yet..i just noticed yesterday..i think i will give my dad a call and talk 2 him to look at them like u said.. if it is the torque converter clutch, is that expensive or hard to fix?? i will try that and let u know later or something.
    thanx

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

could be slack in the pinion, my truck dose the same thing, im just waiting for the rear end to explode

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

you can check by having someone shift it from D to R while you watch it and youll see or hear the slack ive heard that you can tighten up the nut on the yoke to get some of the slack out but i could not budge mine

6. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

my truck was doing that as well. ended up being that my slip yoke on rear shaft was binding up sliding in and out. i put a little grease on it and clunking went away.

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Check the transmission mount as well. You can get a slight thud if the transmission is moving when you apply the gas and again if it shifts back suddenly under hard braking