Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scary sway when towing

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by blazerpunk, Feb 17, 2005.

1. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

When I pull a trailer at about 45 mph it starts swaying. If I can't get it to stop swaying right away it will amplify and start pushing my K5 all over the road. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. It's down right dangerous as is.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like the trailer may be loaded improperly. If you don't have 10-20% of the trailer weight on the tounge it will do that (basically no tongue weight so it lifts the back of the tow rig up).

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We had the same problem with the 27' snowmobile trailer behind the 1/2 burb. We used the Roadmeaster Suspension system and it worked wonders.
    Taken from Summitracing.com...

"
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Systems

Advanced suspension system.

These Roadmaster Active Suspension systems are like helper springs, sway bars, and traction bars all in one package. Features include: * Improved driver control, safety, and stability, with or without a load * Eliminate sway and reduce roll on corners * Reduce axle wrap and wheel hop * Strengthen rear leaf springs for towing or hauling maximum loads with maximum safety * Absorb loads, rather than resist them, thereby ensuring a much more comfortable ride * Eliminate the need for fitting extra blades, which harden the ride * Better handling and control in windy and rough road conditions * Easy to install; can be fitted in approximately 60 minutes with no welding or drilling * Secured under their own coil spring tension * User-friendly; once installed, no adjustment or maintenance required * Manufactured from high-grade alloy spring steel *Save money and minimize wear on tires, shocks, shackles, and leaf springs "

4. blazerpunk

It does this even with no load on the trailer.2 different trailers 2 different loads.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

How big is the trailer?

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I assume you're towing a single axle trailer. They tend to sway a lot more easily. Is the trailer homemade by any chance?

Have you tried using a weight distribution/anti-sway setup and compared the results?

Is it equipped with trailer brakes?

7. blazerpunk

First trailer was 16' tandem axle. Second was a 12' tandem. No brakes on either.

I haven't tried any anti-sway or weight distribution set-up, all I have is a reciver bolted to the frame.

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

What is on/in the trailers? Sounds to me too much weight in the back of the trailer, meaning not enough tongue weight as suggested above. Also, is the K5 lifted? What size/type/load range tire is on the truck? There are so many factors that contribute to swaying trailers, but usually improperly loaded trailer and truck too light for load and/or not properly equipped is most common.

9. blazerpunk

That could have been a contributing factor when coming back but it also did it when empty, although not as bad. The first time was hauling a parts truck pulled all the way to the front of the trailer squating the blazer.

10. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I think a weight distribution setup with a sway bar, or possibly two, would help you out here. They are relatively inexpensive 3-4 hundred for a complete setup, and make towing aloy more cozy. I also saw in your sig. that you are using a 4" Shackle flip in the rear. I am not saying that this is causing you problem, but a few people on here told me to stay away from this for a tow rig. I cannot remember who they were, but they had bad experiences. I don't know how credible their info was, but I don't think it would hurt to just look into it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I would try to use another vehicle (simillar size) to see if it does it with any tow vehicle or just yours. You have to remember a k5 is short and isn't the greatest tow vehicle, due to this fact. Was the tunge high this shifts the weight to the rear,

12. blazerpunk

First trailer sat nice and level and was before the shackle flip and 3/4 ton swap. The rescent one was a sh!ty load and the ball was about a foot to high.

I'm starting to think it might be an alignment prob.P/O put tapered shims in the front when he instaled the lift.Maybe the caster is off just enough to not notice the little bit of wandering with out a trailer on it?

Thanks for the replies