Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

schackle flip worth a flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Feb 8, 2005.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

seen this on ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33585&item=7948850230 says it will add 4inch of lift. anybody running this?

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I would have to say I would just go with an Off Road Design flip unless you know of the people who made this one.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

That looks like the flip being made by Sky Manufacturing.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

:doah: Sled_Dog is right, Dunks not Sky. I guess I've had too much Dr Pepper today. :D

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sky sells them, Dunks makes them.

7. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Which is better for flex a shackle flip or 6'' lift springs?

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Dunks Performance is right across the street from Sky from what I understand. I believe Dunks is selling them for Sky. They are made by Sky and sold by Dunks.

Kind of like Autofab makes the shackle flips and steering braces ORD sells.

I have delt with Sky a few times and am impressed with both there products and there customer service. I would recommend them highly. Save yourself the money and get a the Sky flip. I would be willing to be it is every bit as good as the ORD flip for a cheaper price.

Harley

9. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

how does a schackle flip kit affect the ride and handing? what i am looking into doing is get some 8inch front springs and add the flip kit to the rear i already have a 4inch lift now. will my truck sit level? anybody done this? :confused:

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

shackle flip and stock springs for 4", shackle flip and 3" springs for 7".

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

You will get much better flex and a softer ride from a shackle flip. But if you tow anything or haul heavy loads most people recommend lift springs.

12. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Hi, all this is my first post. I just wanted to let you know this is the kit I bought. The quality on these parts are awesome! I will tell you all how the installation goes, and how they work.

later

13. ikonosin

ikonosin Registered Member

This is correct. I've met some of the guys @ Sky through mutual friends at various off-road events (Sky is pretty local, only an hour away). I hadn't heard of Dunks untiil I just found this thread.

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

looks like a decent product. but doesnt say anything about moving the mounting point forward for better shackle angle, like ORD's does. personally i prefer ORD.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The ORD mount does NOT improve the shackle angle. In fact, IMO, the shackle angle of an ORD flip installed per the instructions, sucks.

Are you sure? I have never had John mention that to me when I have dealt with Autofab (I too sell their steering braces and motor mounts).

I suppose I could ask him, but I'll just ask, where did you get that information?

16. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did that to mine and it sits high in the rear of the truck,Going to add 1" zero rates to try to make it look better

17. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

umm, ya it does. i agree it could be a little more. but they do move the mount forward compared to a cut through homeade flip. quote from ORD -

Description: How many of you want to get rid of your rear blocks? Due to popular demand, we’ve developed this kit to eliminate rear blocks. Our brackets bolt to the frame in the factory spring hanger holes and "flip" your factory tension shackle over to a compression shackle. The kits give exactly four inches of lift so they allow you to use stock springs for a 4" lift, 2 inch springs for a six inch lift and so on. Eliminating lift blocks helps reduce axle wrap and using flatter springs gives better ride quality and suspension flexibility. This kit is extremely durable with fully welded, ¼" gusseted brackets and all grade 8 mounting hardware. We even moved the mounting point forward to give you a better shackle angle. That’s why the brackets don’t look "straight". We now have available a kit to lift your '73-'87 truck or 73-91 K5/Sub 2 1/2".
    Please note: Blazers,Suburbans and some 1-ton trucks had straight front axles through the 1991 model year. They will use the same kit as a '73-'87.