Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

School me on air compressors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Sep 27, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looking for an air compressor to run basic air tools ie. Impact 3/8"-1/2" air hammer air ratchet. Basicly common tools no paint guns or anything. What size do I need HP? SCFM? PSI? Whats are some things to look for or to avoid. Thanks for all the help /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If it needs to run on 110 I'd go with the Craftsman professional 2 stage (black) 25-30 gallon model that is often on sale at Sears.

Otherwise, go 60-80 gallons and you can get some serious air, but you'll need a 220 volt hookup.

I have a 15 gallon craftsman single stage and it's ok for tool use but leaves something to be desired if you're going to be using a die grinder or anything like that.

I really want an 80 gallon IR one when I get a shop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Air ratchets seem to consume a pretty good amount of air. About the same deal here as a welder. Get the biggest you can run and you won't be sorry. Higher CFM at a given pressure is what you are after. There is a pretty decent craftsman model that runs fairly quiet and will keep up with most tools. It runs somewhere in the 450 range. I guess just look at the over all quality of the compressor. Seem alot of them use really crappy on/off/auto switches.

You beat me to it Tim,
    [ QUOTE ]
    If it needs to run on 110 I'd go with the Craftsman professional 2 stage (black) 25-30 gallon model that is often on sale at Sears.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one I am talking about.

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Air ratchets seem to consume a pretty good amount of air. About the same deal here as a welder. Get the biggest you can run and you won't be sorry. Higher CFM at a given pressure is what you are after. There is a pretty decent craftsman model that runs fairly quiet and will keep up with most tools. It runs somewhere in the 450 range. I guess just look at the over all quality of the compressor. Seem alot of them use really crappy on/off/auto switches.

You beat me to it Tim,
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one I am talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the one I have, and it keeps up with what ever I throw at it. I think they are on sale right now.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My brother and my best friend both have that same compressor and both say its works great for them.

6. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i think you should go find the biggest and best one that you can afford an then strech your budget and get the next size up then you know you'll be happy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    it always seems that anything you buy is great but eventually your going to want a bigger and better model /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    so start with the best then you only have to buy one /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Heres mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 80HP 125cfm at 100psi. I have in the neighborhood of 800 gal of air storage.

[​IMG]