Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

school me on cooling fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I have the stock clutch fan. It seems to not be pulling enough air through the radiator to keep my new engine cool enough. Would a flex-a-lite straight fan do better with the spacer to put it closer to the radiator?

What are the pros and cons on a straight fan?

Would an aux. electric pusher fan help any?

2. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What type of truck ? Is there a radiator cowling ? Is the clutch fan new? Did you change your axle gear ratio?:dunno:

3. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

its a 79 k-5, I had a stock 350 in it that always cooled real well. Newer 4 core radiator, new heater core. I just put in a 350 ho, and it runs a little warmer than I'd like. I know when it gets hot outside and running AC its gonna run hot. The clutch fan is older but still has good drag and is tight.

I was just wondering if a straight fan would draw more CFM through the radiator, and what are the down side to running a straight fan?

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

If you've got a little spare cash do what I did and slap 2 14" electric fans on it with a temperature switch and call it done... add a toggle switch if you plan on doing water crossings.