Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

School me on FULL Hydro

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Jul 7, 2006.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I want to run full hyrdo steering on my project but don't really have much knowledge on it. I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places but I can't seem to find much specific info on it. I'm looking to do a home built system, to try and keep the cost down instead of buying a complete brand new kit. Stuff like ram sizes and speeds, what kind of pump an valve, size of both, how to run the ram etc...pretty much whatever ya got:D
    pictures and tech info will really help. Thanks

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I'm listening to this too..... :ears:

I wanna know if you can find a "forklift" repair shop and steal a whole system. :dunno:

Marv

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

4. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thats some god stuff.

I'm looking to do the same thing you are. We've got a bunch of old loaders and lifts around the shop and was hoping to steal the parts from them.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

there is a full hydro tech article on pirate by billavista if I remember correctly...

j

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

yep right here

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for the pirate article

I know there's a ton of info on there but since they took away they're search feature it's pretty much useless for me.

8. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

I run a home brew setup .Here is what i got to say i am running a valve from a combine no idea what spec it is off of(i think it is a danfoss) But mine is not splined , and has four mounting bolts , i mounted my ram to my 60 in the spot next to the housing where there is a little hole, and it is 1" thick so it is beefy then i put wheels straight put the one end half in the rams adjustment mesaure the travel of the ram , then put it half out . according to calculations for a 2x8 ram you want a 7.5cu" valve or more to make it like 2.5 turns lock to lock mine is less in size than that but it responds great cost me like 70 bucks and i love it no bind in linkage. oh

Northern Tool sell Charlynn Valves New i think like 250-300 dollars for that size i mentioned a ram is 70-85 bucks depending on store , the hoses my napa store will make for me they are like 20-30 a hose 4 needed on for RT LT Pressure , and Return. To run a hydraulic line in your pwrs steering pump you need the fitting in the pump that seals with a flare. So you need that nut on the back of the pump that is like 1" fro a 82 or older chevy pump .I went to auto zone bought the pump took my fitting put it in and took it back .. Mine steers when not running it is hard but no worse than no pwr steering . any questions ask away Also i am welded in front and it rocks , not bad to steer

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Search feature is there, you just have to buy a red star to get it.

As far as full hydro, here is a crash course

-Orbitol Valve

The orbitol valve is what takes the place of your steering box, your steering wheel hooks to this. It has 4 ports, a pressure port which is what hooks to the pump, a return which hooks to the resevoir, and right and left hand turn ports. There are 3 basic things to watch for on orbitol valves. Open vs. closed center, load vs. non-load reacting, and displacement.

Open center is what you want for your trucks steering system, a closed center valve will not work, your pump will burn up.

Load reacting is when you will feel feedback in the steering wheel when your tires hit something. 99% of equipment are non-load reacting. Mostly only vehicles meant for some street time or higher speed stuff got load reacting valves. Most say you get no road feel through a non-load reacting but I still get normal return to center and all that through my non-load reacting valve. If I had a choice between the two, I'd take non-load reacting.

As far as displacement, this is the amount of fluid the oribtol will displace during one revolution of the valve or steering wheel. To figure out what you want you find the volume that your ram takes from go to full lock one way to full lock the other way. Say this is 24 cubic inches of fluid. Now you need to find how many turns lock to lock you want, most people go for 2.5 to 3.5. I went for 3 and it's worked well for me. So, say you want 3, you divide 24 by 3 and get 8. So you need an orbitol that displaces 8 cubic inches of fluid per revolution.

Then only thing the left is mounting, you will need a "steering column" for the orbitol which is basically an adapter that goes from the course spline on the valve to a fine spline you can put a steering joint onto.

-Ram

As far as the ram goes, you will want a double ended ram. Some use single ended but it's just not that great for a full hydro system since they use a different displacement between left and right sides so you will have quicker steering on one side than the other as well as more steering force on one side than the other.

For a full hydro system with a good pump you will want a roughly 2.5-3" bore ram with at least a 1.5" shaft and 6-10" of travel depending on if you use stock tie rod location or high steer or behind the axle high steer. You can find your volume of displacement by taking the volume of the ram body and subtracting the volume of the ram shaft, this will give you the internal volume. This is what you use to determine the displacement of orbitol valve you need.

-Pump

You will want either a high flow PSC P-Pump setup that can flow 3-4GPM or a TC style pump that flows the same. You can modify a stock pump the west texas way but it will burn the pump up quickly since it is not designed for the pressure or flow. I've run a KRC TC style pump at 3.5 gpm for 2 years now without problem. You WILL want a good filter and massive cooler. I run a B&M trans cooler with fan on my steering system and a B&M remote engine oil filter for my steering. It uses a regular small block chevy spin on oil filter, works great at keepign the pump clean and happy.

-Hoses

Use only hydraulic hoses rated at your pump pressure (1500-2000psi). Once everything is installed, measure your hoses and what ends you need (straight, 45*, 90*, etc) the orientation you need on them, and take that to a hydraulic hose shop and have them made. Most steering systems use a -6 JIC fitting on the pressure sides and all ram lines and a -10 JIC on the return to the resevoir.

10. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

oh technically it is a hydrostatic steering valve also

11. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks Jason