Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

School me on home electricity please...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Mar 9, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My new shop only has 110 outlets (several). The MIG is 220. How do I get 220 in the shop which is detached from the house?

It would be nice to be able to do this without running a new line, but if that is the answer, someone school me on how to connect it at the breaker box (200 amp box).

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If your breaker box has the capacity, all you should have to do is add a breaker for the 220v line to wherever you want to put your outlet at.

3. cbbr

So I need to run a new line? I was hoping that there was some way to use the 110 outlets/lines but I really know nothing about electricity past how to install 110 outlets/switches/breakers.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you will have to run a line from your breaker box out to the plug yes

5. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I take it the breaker panel is in the house and not the detached garage ?

If this is the case,you will need to pull new wiring to the area where you want the outlet to be,install the appropriate sized breaker in the panel ( as long as you have the room for a breaker and not exceed the capacity of the panel ) Install an outlet and your done.

What I did is install an outlet directly below my panel. (in the garage ) and then made a 25 ft extension cord out of 3 conductor 6 gauge SJ cord and put the matching plugs on each end,,this way I can roll my welder to where I need it and then roll up the cord when I'm done.

6. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

PS,,if you have an electric dryer you allready have the power and outlet,,

7. cbbr

Yep, it's detached and the panel is in the house on the opposite side from the garage.

I used to plug into the dryer plug at my last house where the washroom was by the carport. Looks like I will need to run a new line this time, but at least I can put the plugs where they will be more convenient.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I get the impression you wired up a dryer plug to your welder cord and plugged it into the dryer outlet.

What kind of cord did you use for the welder?

I have a stick welder that someone put a standard 110 cord on. I'd like to switch it to 220.

sorry for the hijack cbbr.

9. cbbr

Hijack away - I think that I have my answer.

That's eaxactly what I did - went to Lowes, buught a plug that would fit the dryer plug and wired it up with 25 ft of 6 ga. wire. Worked like a charm. Only problem I had was that the stiff wire was a PITA to coil/uncoil.

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Ah, thanks. :thumb:

It's on a 110/220 welder so that will get me the 220 I need without replacing the breaker box (it's full).

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you run a new line make sure you size the wire to handle the amps you are running. For example a 220V 30Amp welder will require #10 ga size wire feeders and a 30 amp breaker. Check the input/supply amp load on the voltage requirments plate and size the breaker and the feeder wires for its max current draw.
    Dont use 110V wireing to run your 220V welder most is either #14 or #12 which can only handle: #14 wire= 15 amp max #12 wire =20 Amp max. Too high of a current draw thru undersize wire is a good way overheat wire and start a fire.

12. cbbr

I used the 6 ga. to make my "extension cord" before because it was rated for 50 amps IIRC I will probably use that again.

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Thanks Thunder, I will double check before getting myself plastered in the local news.