Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

School me on Phoenix

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fabjunkie, Feb 8, 2007.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I'm considering a career change that would probably land me in the Phoenix area. Pros, Cons to living there?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Pros , WHEELING , WHEELING , WHEELING , Girls in skirts all year , WHEELING , girls in skirts all year , WHEELING .

Cons , just the people moving here , and pushing housing farther out past the burbs .

Seriously , its the best place to live . We have it all , including seasons , and snow does come to our high country so you visit it :thumb:

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

pro: warm weather
    con: its PHOENIX!

4. pauly383

We get no respect , or major regonition from the world , but the world relies on AZ :

Many many items embedded chips are made here . Tasers are made here . Army helicopters are made here . Motorola , Boeing , and other large players have sites here . We have many jobs here .

Also :

We have beaten the New York Yankees .

We have Jenna Jameson , Spring training baseball , Alice Cooper .

We have the old west , The shootout at the OK Corral was in Tombstone .

Used Cars was filmed here , as well as the Exorcist , The Gauntlet , Rio Lobo , Rio Bravo , and many others .

We have rust free trucks , and Grumpys truck parts for new rubber when the sun beats our up .

We have a very low cost of living compared to the national average . And 250 grand gets you a waaaaay nice house .

I can claim Detroit by birthright , but I ain't leaving the AZ .

5. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

:D
    ANd it's f@#$in hot, but I guess it's all the same past 110, for 3 months, and DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT get on any highway during rush hour, when I moved up here, I thought, damn, there is like 8 highways, I can go anywhere I want in about 20 minutes, until I was unfortunate enough to get on one during rush hour, I still don't know how 6 lanes in one direction can STOP. But on a side note, I work south and live north, so I get to go the opposite way of traffic, and get to laugh at all the people parked on the highway. :D And I don't think hot and hotter count as seasons.

6. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

110 for only 3 months?! More like 8 months :D

7. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

oops, I was trying to be nice. anyway, my thermometer said it was 70 at work today at about 4 pm. a friend on mine called from montana, they said it was 18 degrees, damn I like it here, most of the time.

8. pauly383

May and June are bearable , its really only July , August , and September when its really hot .

No biggie , I have been here since 83 , its a cakewalk if you have a/c in your rig :thumb:

No one I know who ever complained about it , moved away :rolleyes:

9. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

and make sure you get a job that is indoors, then you never really feel the full effects of 118. oh, and another thing, leather seats suck in hot wheather.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Phoenix is a great town:haha: :haha: :haha:

11. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

Phoenix is a HORRIBLE place, way hot, too much traffic etc, etc. (This place is really great, but it getting way too many people moving here and messing it all up!)

12. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Ok, well I knew about the heat, but it's more of a dry heat right? Coming from Houston with 130% humidity at 105*, I think I deal with that just fine. I know that 97* in Albuquerque feels like 80* to me. I'm imagining that it's about the same climate.

Seems to be quite a few CK5r's in the area, you guys go out together at all? If I do this, it'd be nice to know a few people, seeing as I've never been there.

Is there any cons besides more and more people moving in and traffic? The more I look at it, the more I like it. I guess everyone else does too though. :doah:

I'm going to take a trip out there in a couple months for a week or so and check it out. Maybe I can meet some of brothers while I'm there. :waytogo:

13. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

I moved here 2 years ago from tucson, I wouldn't go back, not to mention all the wheelin, but you have the suns, cardinals, coyotes, year round golf, if you golf, diamondbacks, 3 decent lakes an hour away, and the list goes on. let us know when you are coming, I think all of us wouldn't have a problem showing you around.

14. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Been here for about 6 months now, been visiting regularly since 02, when my GF moved here for school. It's a nice place, I like AZ in general. It is VERY crowded and getting more so everyday. If you can avoid living in the Phoenix Clusterf@#k, and live and work in the Suburbs (far east, west, or north) you'll be better off and life will be more bearable. Commuting, unless you're from the east coast, is going to be horrible unless you work odd hours.

The problem with PHX is that nice neighborhoods and really bad neighborhoods are spreadout throughout the area and in many cases are right next to each other. If you can afford to spend a half mil+, you can move into or close to Scottsdale and avoid this, but for the rest of us, you'll have to pick and choose carefully, or move wayyy out into the burbs. It's not always easy to know which areas are bad, unfortunately. Frankly, if you can stay away from the areas with heavy meth use and lots of addicts (thieves) you'll be fine.

Overall though, it's a great place, with lots of wheeling (most of which is in danger of being taken away because of idiots who dont know how to respect our hobby/ sport/ way of life), lots of things to do, lots of people, and typical big city plusses and minuses.

The heat thing, look at it this way: Up north, you get winter, when most people stay inside and some continue their outdoor activities anyway. Down here, you get three or four hot months where it's the same way. If you're used to the heat, it may not bother you too much.

I would suggest living close to your work, and out of Phoenix if you can. If you live in Phoenix/ Glendale/ Peoria/ etc., pick carefully and if you're going to be in a Complex I would want it gated. This is the vehicle and identity theft capital of the world, plan accordingly.

Phoenix is expensive compared to the Midwest, but cheaper than many large coastal cities. Figure $600+/mo for a decent apartment, and a grand plus for a nicer place or rental house. If you're going to buy, probably around $225K+ for a decent place out a ways, or $250K+ for a fixer upper in town in a fair neighborhood.

Rust free older vehicles are everywhere. There is a house on every street with a clean older SFA chevy in it's driveway. Craigslist is full of em.

15. pauly383

Meth is in every state now , watch Cops on Saturday , seriously .

Yes some pockets of bad exist in each city , but thats in cities everywhere . These cities all started out small , and with homes , ranches , and farms spread throughout . So as they grew , they grew form both directions .

Generally your ok with North , South , and East Mesa . Gilbert , South Tempe , Chandler on the East side of town .

And as far as the Westside , I am not sure . It is nice near the people I know .

Avoid South Phoenix mostly and your golden .

And we have open carry , easy concealed permit ( if you don't screw up when your young :wink1: ) . Castle Doctrine law . So you can protect yourself on your property :bow:

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I hope you like Mexicans. What is your job? Where are you moving from?

I am moving back to Phoenix. I am not super thrilled to do so because of the crowded towns & the heat. The wheeling is 2nd to NONE IMHO and the people I know down there are great. That is the only reason I even talked myself into moving back. I hope I won't have to live in the PHX area for a long time, I hope to move out of town to cooler areas like Prescott or Payson.

I don't like the crowds but I know for a fact that the people in AZ have nothing to bitch about if you compare Phoenix to places like LA or SF. Phoenix freeways suck but they don't compare to LA.

Harley

17. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its a dry heat :confused: Yeah and a very hot one at that. I really liked it when i was ter just had more oppurtunity here so I moved but the weather is bearable.

18. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I'm somewhat used to the mexicans having just come from Houston. Are they taking over, or is their presence just known?

One weird thing I found while checking demographics in various cities around the country is that hispanics are in their own group. :confused: It will have every race but hispanic, then another group broke down for the percentages of different hispanic backgrounds. There is nothing showing how many there are compared to everyone else. :dunno:

Anyway, right now I am sort of an account manager for a steel burning company with my position being mainly based on drafting. We do oxy, plasma, and laser cutting, etc. I'm wanting to get back into the vehicle fabrication industry and Phoenix is loaded with motorsports of all kinds with even more shops to support them. There is a lot of work like what I'm doing now, so I'll have something to fall back on if I need to. We're in Tulsa now, and as much as we love it here (wife grew up here), there's not much for career opportunities.

The wheeling is a big attraction to me obviously. The amount of rust free vehicles and vintage iron are a huge plus to me too. I'm also into rods and customs, so it's a no-brainer as far as that goes.

For those of you who commute, what is your average travel time and for how far? I don't mind traffic too much as long as the freeway isn't a parking lot the whole way home.

19. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

takes me 20 minutes, but like I said earlier, I go opposite way of traffic. A guy I work with lives in east mesa, it takes him an hour to get to work, and he uses surface streets.

20. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I work 2nd shift and it takes me 20 minutes each way and that's with no traffic. Not only odd hours are to my advantage, but I live further east out of town than any CK5er, so I hardly see any freeway jams (unless I have to travel further west into town). I wasn't trying to sound cocky but just backing previous posts that location and work hours may be to your advantage.