Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

school me on rotating my transfer case...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Loose Nut, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

can it be done? I'm still learning about alot of this stuff. If i look at the bottom of my rig it appears that my t-case hangs very low, and i think i saw something somewhere about spinning it?

Thinking if this can be done i would gain a ton of clearence.

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

even if you have a 205 it can be done. there is a guy selling the setup on E-bay. I bought the 208/241 clocking ring from Great Lake Offroad. I do NOT recomend them. the quality left something to be desired. the owner offered no resolution when I called. I spent about an hour and a half making it right/cleaning it up. It works, I would recomend DIY4X. I have emailed Kert and was very happy with the responses I receive.

4. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

if you dont mind, what all is involved and is this something i could to in my driveway with little mechanical skill?

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes you can. You will want to build a new crossmember and you will need $$ for a drive line...........And I would NEVER buy a clocking ring from GLO. Like said before...buy 1 from DIY

6. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack, what issues did you have with GLO?

7. Chaddy

Dont get me wrong, GLO (shawn) gave me killer customer service but the ring itself is not up to par. The holes dont work if you want it flat without raising the whole drivetrain up 4 inches or you have to drill and tap new ones. The bolts they sent out were too short BUT he made it right by sending me new longer bolts but then I had to redo the ring again to put the longer bolts in.

8. gmc4cw

the ring I got from GLO was rough. the edges were rough from being cut out of plate, the threaded holes were terrible. You could tell that the tap was forced in with a machine. one, because they were actually pushed out the back of the ring and they were all chewed up. I'd hate to see what his tap looks like. the studs he sent were not right. The proper way to install a stud is to tighten it down to the shoulder. He told me that I should bolt the ring to the case, then run the studs down until they hit the case. No way was I going to do that. I installed the studs in the ring and cut off the excess that hung through. The countersunk bolts used to bolt the ring to the case are too short.

And to top it all off the ring was soaked in machining oil. He could have at least wiped it down with a rag before he sent it to me.

You don't HAVE to build a new crossmember. If you want the full benefits of clocking then you should build a new one. If you only go up 2-3" and build a higher crossmember then the T-case will still be the lowest part. You might also have to do something with the exhaust on the passenger side to make room for the case.

9. Chaddy

Ya, I forgot about the exaust. I had to get all new exaust.

100_1420.JPG

100_1422.JPG

100_1421.JPG

100_1419.JPG

10. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Chaddy, do you think I would need to get a two-piece driveshaft if I clocked my 241 and did 52"s and zero rate to push the front axle forward?

11. gmc4cw

you will definitely need a longer shaft. by 2 peice do you mean like what comes in long beds where they have a bearing support? it won't come near long enough for that.

12. Chaddy

The 2 piece for the angle.

Muddermilitia, I dont know buddy. You will find out when you get it up and mocked into place.