Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

school me on tpi please! oh and hello

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by IIVIIoonshiner, Oct 4, 2006.

1. IIVIIoonshiner

IIVIIoonshiner Registered Member

I have a carbureted mid 80's 350 motor that I want to convert to fuel injection... or replace with a fuel injected motor... I'll spare you the details... here's my situation.

a local fella offered to trade me his tpi fuel injection setup (intake manifold/fuel injectors/everything for the top end/computer/wiring) for my intake manifold and carburetor.... sounds too good to be true to me so I'm in until proven otherwise...

what sensors do i need to make this tpi setup work in my truck in place of carburation? I know I will need electric fuel pump and a return fuel line to my fuel cell... no problems there. I will be running an sm465 and an np205 for the rest of the running gear along with a d60 front and a 14 bolt ff rear.... I can provide more info but I don't know what yall will need to know.... he told me the intakes would bolt in place of each other.... I think the tpi is off a car but I am unsure of this... please help me yall I am trying to talk to the fella by saturday about it.... oh and P. S. does this sound like a good deal? sounds good to me but I don't know what kind of hole I'll be putting myself into...

thanks!
    Beau

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

that sounds like a pretty good deal, you might have to enlarge the center holes of the manifold a little if the intake is off a newer car, make sure you get all the sensors of his engine and all the parts, the little parts can add up to a lot of money very quick if you don't get them, is the TPI setup a MAP or MAF setup

3. IIVIIoonshiner

IIVIIoonshiner Registered Member

i'll be sure to ask wether its maf or map... can you give me an idea what these "little expensive parts" are called so i can look up pictures or some shiat like that? please?

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

sensors like the knock sensor, ignition modual in the distributor, the TPS, and if it is a MAF the MAF sensor its self is like $400

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On a used setup with used parts, you can expect to replace some of the sensors due to breakage and wear. If it's MAF, they *typically* are all right, but as mentioned, if not, big $$ to replace. MAF is the only setup with the base you need, but you want to stay away from an '85 (except for the "hard parts") donor as there are some specific hard to find parts.

I think in reality, doubling acquisition cost is typical to have all said and done, but with a free setup, no way to say that. :)