Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

School me on tube

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Oct 16, 2005.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok I need some help here. Can someone tell me what kind of tube is out there and the diffence between them is. In basic term.

I want to make a set of tube doors but dont know what to look for like pipe,dom,ect....

thanks

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

dom= drawn over mandrel tubing. its some of the strongest pipe.

you can use regular pipe or tubing for doors. it is welded together and it has a seam down the middle on the inside. not as strong unless you spend an arm and a leg for some schedule 40. just get something that is about 3/16" thick or so for doors. use only DOM for cages.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

HREW tube is Hot Rolled, electrically welded tubing. Usually mild steel, although it often comes in decent material like 1018.

DOM, starts out exactly like HREW, then is drawn over the mandrel to tighten up the tolerances. Usually same grade or better than HREW. If the sizes are equal the strength differences aren't that astounding IMO. Yes, DOM is also welded seam tube...the welded seam is just a lot harder to see.

All tube is defined by the outside diameter. Example: 1.75" tube is 1.75" outside. The thickness of tubing is given as "Wall thickness" EG: .120" wall

All pipe is defined by the inside diameter and even that is pretty loosely adhered to. 1.75" pipe should be near to 1.75" inside diameter. The thickness of pipe is given as 'schedule'. EG sched 40. Many steel catalogues will have a thickness table telling you the exact wall thickness for any given pipe size and schedule.

The problem with pipe is there are a lot of grades of pipe, and you could inadvertantly get something not well suited to cage or door construction.

Rene

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If it is just for tube doors HREW is fine. Most people around here use HREW for cages. My cage and tube doors are both HREW.

Harley