Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

school me on water passage ways

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Feb 15, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

My old stock manifold had water passages in the rear of it. The block has water ports in the rear. The edelbrock performer EPS manifold I am about to install has no rear water passages. I had it on my old '66 283 for a long time, which also has water passages in the block. WHY IN THE WORLD does edelbrock not put rear water passages? I have a hard time understanding how the coolant will still flow?

Thanks,
    James

PS: there is a bunch of mineral buildup and gunk in the water ports in the block, and a bunch of carbon chunks built up in the exhaust crossover.. yuck :eek1: that old manifold is HEAVY!!!!

2. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

It goes through the block, up into the heads, and forward. It's fine.

3. 78Suburban

Cool. Wonder what inspired Ebrock to make it flow differently than the OEM setup?
    thanks,
    James

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i have seen some of the stock intakes not have a cross over in the rear, it might have somthing to do with keeping the manifold cooler to keep the fuel cooler

5. 78Suburban

that makes alot of sense really.

Does anyone know how much one of those SOB's weigh's stock? i thought I was gonna bust a gut trying to lift it outta there :crazy:
    thanks,
    James

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As mentioned, GM did go back and forth with having a crossover back there over the years.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I welded bosses onto an intake and brought the coolant fwd to the front crossover. My idea was to see if the engine became less prone to detonation. Those rear cyls get short changed when it comes to cool coolant. It did make a difference.
    Were I to do it again I'd do it on the under side of the intake. Those tubes, even though they were stainless, radiated a lot heat and I had to make a HUGE (valve cover to valve cover, full engine length) isolation plate to keep the heat out of the carb.