Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

School me on welders please! 120v vs. 230v

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emmettology 101, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hello all..

Ok a little history on what i have now. I bought a Lincoln Pro Mig 135 wire feed welder a few years ago. It has been a very good welder to me and I love it. Haven't run anything but .035 flux core through it.... According to the Lincoln site I can weld up to 3/16" in a single pass(flux) and up to 5/16" multi-pass. And single pass Mig to 3/16"....
    LINK

I've been thinking about purchasing a 230v welder in the future(maybe by summer if all goes well). Since I really like my other Lincoln, I've been thinking about going with the Pro Mig 175.. It can definately weld thicker material using flux core. Up to 1/4" single pass flux or 5/16" multi-pass with .035 or up to 1/2" mulitpass with .045 NR-212 flux core.
    LINK

What gets me is if you compare the two using the Mig process, they weld the same. Up to 3/16" single pass using .035 flux... Only reason I would step up to a different/larger welder is to weld thicker material with gas for a cleaner weld...

So judging by what I wrote here, is the 175 a waste of money? Should I just stick with the 120v 135? Or step up int he future. They always say bigger is better, but according to the fact sheest it doesn't look that way... Is the extra 40 amp and the 230v juice of the 175 worth it?

Just looking for opinions.. I know some will say go Miller or go with a model sold by a welder supply store for more $$. But comparing the retail version to the wholesale version, I dont see any difference in performance(judging by the thickness charts)... Only difference I can see is more adjustability.... And so far with my Pro Mig 135, I've been happy...

Thanks!

2. Emmettology 101

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's in the lounge, us lounge rats don't *actually* wheel or weld. We just fight like brothers. :p:

At any rate. If you're happy with the penetration you have now, stick with it. The extra wiring and expense of the 230 isn't worth it. The reason I'm going 230 is that I don't have a 120 in the first place and it isn't all that much more if you're stuck buying a new one either way. I figure I might as well be able to throw some big flux core in there and weld pretty much whatever I want to without problems.

4. Emmettology 101

Last winter I re-wired my garage. So I already have the outlets.... :D Would like a 220 welder for the penetration, but it doesn't look like it is much different on these two welders using gas. That just seems odd to me...

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I had the chance to make a direct comparison between a 120 and 230 of similar models (shop class almost three years ago now :doah: ) an extra 30 or 40 amps was very much worth it when welding heavier stuff. One thing that I don't see people mention very often also is that if you have a big job and not much time, duty cycle becomes important. You can turn down the 230 and achieve the same penetration but it'll run for a while longer because you're not using it at full capacity. Probably not important for an average hobbyist, but when you're trying to get a project done in an hour long class that's already tacked together, it comes into play.

PM Sled Dog, I believe he has a 175 and his dad has a 135, so he'd be able to make a direct comparison between the two. That is if they didn't get stolen along with the rest of his tools. :crazy:

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I think you will find in reality you are able to much more easily make a quality weld on heavier material. I've not had experience with that 175 unit but most people I've talked to love theirs. I have a lincoln powermig 255 and I'll never go back to the 120v unit as my main welder.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think the duty cycle on the Pro-MIG 175 is higher than the 135/140.

8. gauder

gauder Banned

Just get a good old 220 arc welder then. That's all that you're doing when using flux-cored anyways, just convenient because you've got a 1/4 mile of wire instead of 12" consumable electrodes.

Lincoln is a great company.

Save your money and get a tig eventually.

9. Emmettology 101

I already have an arc welder. But I was wanting to run MIG instead of flux on the 175.... According to Lincoln's charts, they weld the same with gas(135 vs. 175).. :doah:

Jarhead - the duty cycles are close. IIRC, the 135 is 20% and the 175 is 30%...

Also checked ont he next step up welder.. The Power Mig 215. It's rated almost the same for gas... Weird...