Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

School me on winch internals....Ebay M12000

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

My $450 Ebay M12000 finally showed up today. :saweet: It wasn't complete of course- It needed the control/solenoid box, remote, fairlead, and after inspecting it today, prolly new cable.

Anyways, I've got some questions regarding the clutch lever/mechanism...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously turning the the knob to point up is engaged, down is freespool. (I'm a winch n00b, first one I've ever owned) The knob on this one turns almost all the way horizontal counter clockwise, and just past horizontal clockwise. Won't go all the way to verticle down and the clutch won't disengage to allow free spool. Power in/out works fine. Is the lever supposed to stop positively pointing up and then again pointing down? It just kinda does it's own thing, doesn't feel right, like it's just floating around. I know something's broke or worn out in there, just don't know what. I didn't get a chance to pull it apart to see if it was anything obvious... Can anyone shed any light on what the problem is? For $450 I don't mind spending whatever it costs to get it goin. :)

And who has a good price on 125' of 3/8" synthetic rope?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Joe, on my Warn M9000 the lever does have resistance to it when moving it. It should move 180* from the engaged to free spool position.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sorry don't know jack-ola about the 12000 pounder... but I do know Peak Empire (pirate vendors forum) has hella good prices on synth winch lines, even cheaper than Rockstomper. Thats where I plan to get my 8274 line...

j

4. Zeus33rd

I figured thats what the lever is supposed to do... and it doesn't do it. lol
    Does yours just click into place and stop 180* apart? Mine does not. I'm gonna tear into it tommorrow and have a gander. Just posting to get an idea of what to look for.

Thanks Jek. :)

5. 4X4HIGH

Joe, i just went to Warn website and looked for synthetic rope and the only thing i found was 100' of synthetic rope for 9500lb or less winches for $618.00. :eek1:

Here's the link to the page. http://gowarn.com/synthetic-winch-rope.asp

6. 4X4HIGH

yep, my lever kinda clicks into place. :thumb:

7. Zeus33rd

Thanks, I kinda figured that was the way it's supposed to be. I'm sure I'll figure it out tommorrow when I tear into it.

As for the synthetic rope cost, Check out this link-
    https://peakempire.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=201

$229 for 125' of 3/8" Amsteel rope. And a discount through the Pirate vendor forum if ya PM the guy for a quote. Haven't recived a reply back yet. :D