Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

school time....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

could someone tell me where exactly is a head gasket is?......and what is the gasket in between the intake and the motor called?....thanks for the lessons in advance..Kelboski

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Intake Gasket.

[​IMG]

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

head gasket goes between the head and the block.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

4. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

thanks DBLAZER...i feel very stupid now...:)....Kelboski

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey bro, I wasnt trying to make you feel stupid. Im sorry, I should have said Intake Gasket Dumba$$[​IMG] Im totally screwing with ya. If ya dont ask you will never know so dont worry about it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

DBLAZ....is the head gasket located underneath the intake and all...reason i'm asking is, i have a little white coming out of the pipes on start up, and i'm going to put a new edlebrock intake on soon....while i am doing that, would it be difficult to change the head gasket after all of that is taken apart...i have an 84 w/ a 305...just doing some spring cleanin in the old power plant....i will probabl need a new head gasket one day, so...would it be easier to just change it while i'm greasy?
    Kelboski

7. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

or is the head underneath the valves and stuff?

8. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The Head contains the valves, valve springs and rocker arms. The intake manifold rests on top of the heads. It is not that hard to change your head gaskets, just a lot more work and time involved. If you go to all that trouble you might what to consider have the heads reworked while they are out.
    You need to find out why your truck puts out smoke upon start up. Is it white smoke of light blue smoke? This will help you figure out where the problem is. GM heads are bad about losing the valve guide seals and allowing oil the run down the valve stems into the head after you shut the engine off. The next time you start it up it puffs blue smoke. Hope this helps.
    Layne Oberto

9. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

thanks....its white smoke though

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Before you go calling smoke on start up a blown head gasket do some testing. Depending on the climate some smoke is not uncommon on start up. If your not having to top off the coolant regularly then you DO NOT have a blown head gasket into the coolant passages. You will also get a sweet smell from the exhaust. NAPA sells a kit that allows you to test for exhaust in the coolant and is well worth the $50 to be sure that it is a BHG. Even if you are loosing some coolant that loss may be for another reason like some shmoe put a 3/4 hose on both heater lines when the one from the lower side to the intake requires a 5/8 and you get a slight leak at the fire wall or the intake. Problems with the recovery tank will also get you loss of coolant.
    The smoke you see may well be just condinsation in the exhaust system being expeled. If you live in a humid climate that takes a good 20deg temp drop in the evenings or is prone to fog you smoke on start up may well be normal.
    If it's blue smoke on start up with a burnt oil smell then that probably bad valve guide seals and does not require the heads to be removed to correct.
    No offence here but you not knowing where a head gasket is located I would be concerned that your going to have the know how to replace one. That is a MAJOR job that pro mechanics dread. You have to strip the engine down to bare to do this job. That means all the accessories like power steering Alternator A/C all have to be removed, then exhaust manifolds as well as all the stuff on top of the engine like carb and the works. Then you have to clean all the parts and the block deck and chase all the threads Then were into adjusting valves and other fun jobs. You got it that far apart you might as well throw timming chain in if you got high miles and a water pump. This is a MAJOR deal here that you in most cases will not finish in one weekend. With your limited knowledge you really need to find somebody that has some hands on to help you with a project that large. I am a fair shade tree and it took me 40 hours or more work to replace the head gaskets on mine. Now I'm anal about things and I hand lapped the valves and replaced valeguide seals and painted the engine at the same time. I also put in a timing chain, oil pump and water pump. My butt is still sore from sitting on the core support 2 years ago.
    Just be sure that it's blown before you go to all that trouble. Get a Good shop manual and find your best gear head buddy and reqruit their help if you do indeed get into this.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

11. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

thanks Grim....i live in Jonesboro Ga....a few miles from you, i have NO coolant leak at all...and i'm not going to attempt to put a new head gasket in..NO WAY..i'd be lost. i am going to put a new intake on soon though..i think i can handle that..my dad has a friend who is a retired Delta mechanic...he knows EVERYTHING...so if i have trouble, i can call him...so i guess its not a head gasket then..huh?..no coolant leak whatsoever....thanks again..Kelboski

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Good, glad to hear. When I was younger (can't belive I'm old enough to say that *bashing head into desk*) I had a bud that decided to get into a major project and the outcome was getting charged double by a mechanic because of all the stuff he screwed up along the way. Keep tinkering and you will learn. Thats just an big job for a novice. Heck its a big job for a pro. Only a few things more major that can be done to a drive train and most of those include the word Rebuild.
    Yeah we got them nice suatry summers going (Read as sweeting your butt off at 7am because it's 100%humidity and 80 deg already). My trucks and my supra have been giving a few seconds of light smoke (really it's steam) first thing in the morning. Nothing to worry about.
    Hurry up and get the work done and come wheeling with Depdog, BigJBear, Keith and I.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

13. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

i'd love to Grim...but i don't know if i can hang with yall yet....my project has just begun....these are the starting specs...84K5.....305(want a 350)/700r4/np208/10 bolts(want a dana 44 front and 12 back...at least)...want 4:56's..just installed a 4"rough country susp...(did it myself :) )....have 33" wild tracs(want 35" tsl radials..but my tires are new so i'll have to wait)....a can back, ...ok for the non dreaming plans..........soon to come...msd 6a, blaster 2 coil, edlebrock intake...shackle flip in rear..or new springs(i have blocks in rear).....its in great original shape, i bought it at the first of May from a guy in Lawrenceville......pics are on an old post of mine. i had a 90 k5, sold it to a friend because he wanted it enough to pay a nice amount...so 2 weeks later i bought my 84... i love it. i'm in my last semester of school @ UGA, so when i'm finished, i can get a full time job and begin the real work on my project...so i can go and hang with you fellows....i've seen Depdog driving down the street before...nice talking to you.....thanks for the info.......Kelboski