Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Schooling advice?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Russell, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey fellas! I realize some of you have next to no edumacation (looking at you CanCan :haha:) but I was hoping maybe you guys could give me a little insite on what I should be doing with my education.

As some of you may remember, I managed to score a spot at the University of Alberta, and started taking classes there this September. However, I wasn't expecting to make it in at all, and was caught totally off guard literally a week before classes started, and basically copy pasted a buddy's schedule without really reading up on what everything was.

I've just finally finished getting my butt getting whipped quite royally during mid terms, and my feeling that I may have rushed into going into the U of A is at an all time high.

I've never been the type that is particularly book smart, and I have always been a hands on type learner, and excelled in practical work. As a result, I'm doing very well in all of the lab portions of my U of A education, but as mentioned, the inclass work has been kicking my butt like it's never been kicked before.

I was talking with a buddy of mine, who again expressed his surprise that I went to the U of A instead of a technical school, knowing my interests and strengths. Well, I took his words to heart, and started looking at what some of the local technical schools have to offer, and found that NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Techology) has an Electrical Engineering Technology program that seems to be a near perfect fit for my skills and interests.

It requires a strength in the concepts of Math and Electrical Physics, which were two of my stronger classes in highschool, along with a requirement of strength in Language Arts for report writing, and finally the ability to work well with others as a team. Again, fits me perfectly, I get along with just about everyone I meet, and was always scoring great grades in English class without much effort at all.

The course teaches on concepts I'm interested in, and have already started to learn on my own anyways, so I'd actually have a real interest in going to school, and learning something I want to learn. All of this, plus the school has tiny class sizes of a max of 30 students per lecture, and 15 students per lab.

Anyways, its all really striked a strong interest in me, and I'm extremely interested in dropping out of the more prestigious university where I'm getting my butt kicked, and switching to NAIT instead.

NAIT claims that 98% of graduate students from this course finds a job within months of graduation, in fields of their interests. Not only that, but the job I'm looking at getting for a summer job of releif plant operator up north at a gas plant my father oversees, is just about a perfect match for the type of stuff I'd be learning.

What do you guys think? Sound like its worth dropping out of the university for a technical education instead?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

All I have to say is do what you like. I'm 1.5 years into an engineering degree and I'm looking at changing schools and going into Automotive Engineering Technology. It's sort of a "practical" engineering degree. I'm gonna say don't get dead set on one course of action until you complete the first year. Sometimes a couple week break and few good grades can do wonders for my disposition.

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Tech Schools are perfect if you like hands on stuff in my veiw. I beleive if I would of went to Iowa State rather then Iowa Lakes I probably would of dropped out.

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Just saw this thread so sorry if it is long over. I work at a university so i see your situation quite often.

The number one mistake that student's make in their first year of school is walk away after the 1st semester. The first year of school is usually pretty rough for a number of reasons. Learning to manage your time (studying vs. partying/social life), stresses of learning how manage your own life in totality, different type of instruction/material in college vs. high school, time needed to actually master the material, expectations of the prof's, etc. Not to mention that the usual 100 level classes are called "weeder" classes. This is because they require a lot of busy work to sucess, those who do not put the time in are weeded out of college.

It gets easier as you go. When you get into your major course work it is even easier yet.

All that being said, if you really want to go to a tech school, why waste your time and money at a school you don't want to be at? Self -fulfilling prophecy there. You keep trying to force your way thorough the university and you will burn out/down simply because you really don't want to be there.

I would contact the tech school and see if you can transfer any credits from this semester, or if there are classes you could take next semester that would transfer. After a full year in the university you will have enough information to make a good decision. Besides the study habits you will be forced to develop at the U. will only help you at the tech school (by no means am I saying you don't have to study at a tech school - often they are every bit, if not more time consuming in thier subject material and course hours/outside hours requirement.)

Time for some real introspection and brutal honesty. Did you really put in the needed hours to suceed at the U? Don't think the tech school will be any easier.... it just may seem that way because you enjoy the subject.

By no means do I have all the answers, but feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions. Good luck.