Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

schools of engineering

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1979jimmy350, Apr 20, 2006.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I am starting to look in to schools to transfer to after next year becasue my school does not offer engineering degrees, I am looking for a school that has a automotive systems program, any body have any sugestions on good schools in the midwest area that offer mechinical engineering with a specilty in automotive systems? Thanks for the help

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I know its not in the Midwest but Virginia Tech has a top 10 engineering school and a great auto engineering program.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Check into the University of Missouri-Rolla, I went there. It is a great school, but I do not know if they have the program you are looking for.

4. 1979jimmy350

thanks for the info, so far i have looked at U of I, southern illinois and MSOE, and thoughts on any of theses?

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You could check out Michigan Tech. In Michigans Upper. Very good credentials for engineering. Great place. A little far away for some (not me, I loved it). Not sur eif htey have an "Automotive systems" specific ciriculum, what is it exactly, because that's a pretty broad term. BIW design, tool design, process engineer, mech. engineer, braking systems, steering systems? What is it you want to do.
    A gpood percentage of thier graduates (i'd say 50) go into the automotive field, because alot of thier students are from SE michigan, the suppliers and OEMS were always up their recruiting, what little it was. Probably not the case now, Auto industry around here is rough.

http://www.mtu.edu

6. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I got 2friends ar MSOE and 1 at Southern. i think my buddy at Ferris State in Michigan said he could go for 4 years and get a degree in engineering, ill ask him about it.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Texas A&M. We have a school recognized offroad club, 80% white student body, and highly accredited engineering program. Plus you get to live in Texas:D

www.tamu.edu
    www.tamor.org

8. 1979jimmy350

is that the one in houghton michigan? Ive spent some vaction time up there, there is some good fishing in that area

9. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

Yep, thats the one.

I just graduated from there 2 years ago. There was always new vehicles on campus from the big 3. We got to 'trash' the brand new prototype Rubicons on some of the trails. We also had the H2 on campus before it was released.

From what I know of the Mechanical dept, they have a very good placement. Two of my friends auto jobs, one at a Ford supplier, and one a Saginaw Grey Iron (casters of gm engine blocks). My roomate, a computer science major, had internships at Chryslers headquarters.

PS - They have a really cool 4 Wheel Drive Club :waytogo: http://www.mtu4x4.org/