Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

schotty gets canned..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by moneypit, Feb 12, 2007.

1. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

What are the bolts to do...:doah:

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I thought he was on for one more season :eek1: :eek1: ?!!

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

:rolleyes: great
    they have a damn good team, they better find a damn good coach

4. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

****. Take all that talent and let's start over with a new system. I love most of the things AJ does, but his fricking ego is immense. So he and Marty can't get along. BFD. Deal with it.

I'm not a big Marty fan, but was wanting him to finish out his contract to see if they could get it done as is. Now we are more than likely starting over. Grrrrrrrr.

5. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Boy oh boy and they told that guy he was safe for another season. Turns out they blame him for guys taking head coaching jobs. Cant believe he is taking the fall for a guy wanting a promotion.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take it from a Chief fan, Marty's a choker....

7. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

8. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Hmmm.... Cowher??? AJ has a plan womder what it is? If we had the donkeys coaching staff since they aint got no players......????

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't see any difference between Marty and Dungy if you rewind to 3 months ago. Seriously, people like to bandwagon against coaches who haven't won a superbowl and its pretty moronic. Both are good coaches, both have (or had in Dungy's case now!) to wait years and years to finally win the big game. I think Schotty is a great coach. Yes, he has been overly conservative at various times... but it seemed like he "got over it" this year, didn't it? He didn't hold back that offense toooo much... they were pwning damn near every team they played. Getting beat by the Patriots this last season isn't an embarassment.... the Pats were 1-play away from going to the Superbowl (and probably winning). Its not like the Pats sucked or anything. IMO they were the 2nd best team in the playoffs after the Colts.

Look where the Bolts are now? They have no head coach... they have no assistant coaches... and the combines etc are coming up VERY soon. IMO they have pretty much ****ed themselves. Yes, they have all kinds of talent, but contracts etc dictate that the window of opportunity for this chargers team is very narrow.... do they have time for some new guy to come in and spend a year or two getting this team molded to his system to win the superbowl? I don't think so. I think 1 more year of Marty was their best chance to win it all. Now who are they going to get? looks like they have 3 options:

1) the puppet government option: bring in some college stooge or an NFL assistant no one has ever even heard of and just let AJ really run the show.

2) retirement home option: roll some old codger out of his assisted living facility and put him on the sidelines.

3) the 3rd tier coach option: lets face it, most of the great coaches already have jobs.... most of the so-so coaches already have jobs... so what you are left with in a "lets find a coach in mid-febuary" game is the dregs.

Number 1 ain't gonna work very well... lets face it, AJ isn't Jerry Jones... and JJ isn't even that good.

Number 2 could work if they get just the right guy, and he doesn't die part way through the season. Dick Vermiel? Can't think of to many other alternatives. The Tuna is done... Cower really does want a YEAR off...

If they go with option 3, does anyone really think they have a chance to win a SB next year?!

In short, the bolts are ****ed and probably ain't goin' anywhere.

j

11. k5lover

k5lover Registered Member

Living in San Diego, I have heard the locals call for Marty's firing practically since he got here. The two schools of thought here seem to be:
    1. A monkey could coach this team with the talent it has, so good riddens Martyball and the curse, and bring on some fresh meat.
    2. You can't fire a coach that went 14-2 in the regular season and only lost those two games by a combined 6 points. Marty didn't miss those catches, field goal, or get those penalties against the Pats.

I happen to think Marty is a good coach and you don't go into a rebuilding year after the best regular season your team has ever had. If Dean Spanos was going to fire Marty, I wish he wouldn't have waited until Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips jumped ship. Either of those guys would have been a better choice than what's available on the coaching market now. Spanos should have realized Marty and A.J. Smith were not going to agree on hiring Offenseive and Defensive coordinators. Oh well, that's sports in San Diego. It will always be dysfunctional just like the politics!

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

losing both of their main assistant coaches was definitely a big blow to the organization. Either probably could have stepped in and built on the '06 season, as opposed to the team starting over from scratch with an entirely new coaching staff... gj AJ you turd. lol!

j