Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

scope suggestions

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by MTChevy, Feb 10, 2007.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Just got my AR-10 with the flattop on it. Its a DPMS. What do you guys suggest for a scope and mounts. I'm not sure what i want

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Goin' for accuracy or just screwin' around?

3. MTChevy

accuracy mainly little screwin off

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Used Leupold, if that's outta your range, I've had good luck with B&L but their higher power scopes (I'm told) have an extra lens which makes them a little longer and heavier.

5. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

leupold are the finest american scopes you can buy. If you just want hands down best scope get a zeiss.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

That is a fine gun. besides the other Scopes mentioned if you don't want to pay a ton of money... Redfeilds are good quality scopes. Made in Japan with great optics. I have an Illuminator 3x9 on my 7mm MAG BDL and love it. Can almost see in the dark with it.
    Redfeid Widefeild scopes are very nice scopes for an Auto. Their wider Field of vision can come in handy for faster target acquisition.
    Redfeilds have a lifetime warranty
    I also like redfeild mounts they are very strong. They are exactly the same and copied by Leupold, Burris, and Weaver,

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  7. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

MTChevy,

What are you looking at spending? If you want high end I would recommend what everyone else has suggested, Leupold but if you want 2n best get a high end Nikon scope. They sell for 3-500 dollars less than leupold and are in my opinion exact same match.

A good company to look for scopes is www.swfa.com they have a huge variety selection.

If you want a cheap but really good optic I would recommend the SIMMONS Whitetail classic in 6-18 X 50 This is a really good scope for the price. Mostly for a hunting rifle.

8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I have an ACOG on mine and love it. How long of a barrel do you have on yours?

9. MTChevy

24 inch barell, I ended up getting a BSA for it. We will see what its like when it gets here

10. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I hope you have better luck than I did with a BSA. I bought mine put it on and went target shooting. First shot the crosshairs fell down from inside the scope. Sent it back and bought a Leupold.

If you dont like the BSA I would highly suggest the Simmons Whitetail classic
    http://www.swfa.com/pc-4495-252-simmons-65-20x50-whitetail-classic-rifle-scope.aspx

i really love this scope. I have taken 1 bear and several deer using this scope on my 300 win mag. I have recommended this scope to a lot of people and several have bought it. They have nothing but good things to say about it. It is an expensive scope and SWFA is the only one that sells it for $100. Everyone else wants more for it.

I have shot the 300 win mag and scope combo for 7 years now maybe over 300 shots through that rifle and the scope works like a charm. I have 3 of them on my other rifles and love the combo. I also replaced the leupold and replaced it with this scope.

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Another vote for Leupold. I had an old Leupold M4 that I hunted with when I was young. Once I took a head over heels tumble down a steep boulder strewn creekbed. I remember my rifle bouncing off the back of my head and then bouncing off the boulders down the creek three or four times. One of the bounces pt a HUGE ding in the rim of the eyepiece. I took it to the range and it held it's zero, exactly, didn't stray a bit. With that said, I'd go for a nice tactical scope by U.S. Optics, or Unertl. Something that looks like it belongs on an AR15

12. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

X's 2 I will try to post a pic of my set up with my ACOG.