Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SCORE 250

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by arq, Feb 29, 2004.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

woohoo, made it to the 250. i wasn't in it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but i got some action shots /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

score 250

this is one of my
    favorites

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    ARQ.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Rock on buddy. Looks like y'all had an excellent time. I haven't been to a desert race in years. Might be about time that I made it back to one. Good luck to ya.

Allan

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Cool pics..........

Did ya see the Class 3 K5 driven by <font color="orange">retroblazer </font> down there?

My last desert race was Labor Day weekend and it's going to be awhile until I can have the time and the excuse to go to another since in a week I'll be 600 miles away from any desert race.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i was looking out for him but never did get to see him /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif wonder if it went well for him.

ARQ.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    i was looking out for him but never did get to see him /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif wonder if it went well for him.

ARQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to venture to say no. I got the results e-mailed to me the other day and I didn't see him listed. I also know that he was apparently having problems getting down to San Felipe, so he may not have made it, but I'm sure we will hear from him soon.........

6. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I met Chris here on CK5 two weeks ago and ended up helping him get to the race and in San Felipe.

Chris made it to San Felipe and I should let him tell the story, but I'll pass on some of the high/low-lights.

Sunday
    His straight axle Suburban conversion was not finished in time to act as the tow vehicle it was supposed to be. The rest of the week went something like this.

Monday
    He flew from home (Chicago) to Pennsylvania to pick up the Blazer where it had been prepped. Rented a U-Haul Box Van and Trailer and towed it back to Chicago where he loaded up spare parts and tires.

Tuesday
    Towed with the U-Haul all day.

Wednesday
    Towed some more. Somewhere along the way he realized he didn’t have his drivers license and made arrangements to fly back to Chicago from Denver, and for a friend to take over the towing duties. His friend towed the rig three hours from Denver and handed it off to Steve Fox (Off Road Design) who continued the saga south.

Thursday
    In Chicago Chris went to the DMV to get a new license then flew to Los Angeles to meet friends that were going to the race, and drove with them to San Felipe (7 to 8 hours) arriving late that night. Mean while Steve was still towing from Colorado. He arrived at our race shop around 4:30 looking quite tired. About the same time Chris’s friend Jeff arrived from Central California with his truck and trailer loaded with spare parts and pit equipment. We transferred the spares from the U-Haul to Jeff’s truck and trailer and hooked the U-Haul Trailer to my friend Mike’s Super Duty. The U-Haul Truck couldn’t be taken across the border so I had enlisted Mike’s help. We arrived in San Felipe about 11:00 that night, Chris showed up a few hours later, and we finally met face to face.

Friday
    Chris and crew got up early and unloaded the Blazer and got it ready for Contingency and Registration, and took it through. They returned to the house (I rented some “Houses” on the beach, and an old trailer) to work on final touches for the race. Late in the afternoon Steve took the Blazer out to shake it down and returned with it over heating and steaming out the valve cover breathers. This was a new engine and our first thought was a blown head gasket, then maybe intake manifold gaskets. The intake was removed and everything looked okay. A phone call to the engine builder suggested that it could be a crack at the valve spring seats. While Chris blew into the radiator we checked for leaks and found a gusher.

We stuffed some rope in the cylinder and turned it to TDC to hold the valve up and made a valve spring compressor out of an old nail puller that we got from Dunie the caretaker. Once the valve spring retainer and spring was removed, the problem was obvious, a small hole into the water jacket had been fixed with JB Weld, but it didn’t hold. We got some Epoxy Putty from some Motorcycle Racers and repatched the hole, reinstalled the Valve Springs and crossed our fingers. At some point we checked the leftover Epoxy that we had mixed and realized that it was not getting hard, it must have been too old. We were able to roundup some more Epoxy Putty from a friend and repeated the whole process again. This time the leftover hardened. We adjusted the valves, changed the oil and buttoned things up, but at 2:30 AM we weren’t going to start it until morning.

Saturday
    I awoke to the sound of 406 cubes coming to life. Once the engine was hot, the oil and filter were changed again and Chris was headed to the Start Line. During the race Chris had a tie rod come loose and flop over, broke a steering arm and rolled hard landing on a spectator’s table. The crew fixed the damage and he soldiered on, only to run out of fuel towards the end of the race. The team got fuel to him, and he finished the course, but about 20 minutes after the time limit. And, that’s racing in Baja!

Having just met Chris, Steve, Jeff, Ron and the rest of his crew, I admired their persistence and determination. For those of you that have never been to a long distance desert race, you can’t imagine what it takes to get to the finish line, let alone win one. They will be back for the Baja 1000 in November.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Thank you for the story...........

[ QUOTE ]
    For those of you that have never been to a long distance desert race, you can’t imagine what it takes to get to the finish line, let alone win one.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif