Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

scored a 472 on the 23 degree ramp today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Oct 26, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well I went to one of the local club get togethers today, took the blazer (top off) even though it's 43 degrees and misting like crazy. scored a 472 on the 23 degree ramp, stock other than the 31" tires, not bad wish I had pics the rear was almost at full stuff

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It should have done better even with the sway it should have been over 500 and close to 600 with the sway off. The project one of the mags did a few years back was well into the 5's on a 20 and about 650 with the sway off on a 20.
    My guess would be your shocks are too short.
    My 75 does 839 on a 25.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

it looked like the shocks were at the limit, they look like they might be original, have some kind of spiral design on them, but I know there not any good so.....

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ya id have to agree /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif im sitting at high 7's with a sway bar on still.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The shocks were limiting it? Both of them? just kidding...that sounds a little low to me too.

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well that's as far as this first gen would go, back tire was stuffed pretty good, it was rainy so maybe that had something to do with it.. anyway it was fun

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohhh I didn't mean to make that sound bad at all. Ramping is very good for a few things the biggest is seeing where there can be improvment. Typically the shocks are a little short. I bet you could gain an easy 100 points just with some fine tuning and relocating the front shock mounts. Little stuff like longer front shackles and a 2 inch block in the rear would be cheap and get you a lot in the way of flex. When I bought my shocks I got the truck fully flexed with the shocks off. I measured my compressed and extended lenghts.
    Take one inch OFF the compresed lenght. Bottoming out a shock is a bad thing. stuff breaks like mounts. Having them extend fully is not that bad for them.
    Anyway take those measurments and most parts stores will have the specs on the shocks they sell that included extended and compressed lengths. Find the set that best match your figures.
    When I did this the shock that best matched on my truck were what most people sell as a 6 inch lift shock ( my truck has 4 inches of lift). The shocks that were listed as a four were several inches too short for what travel I had. 2 inches at the shock can be as much as 4-5 inches of travel at the wheel when flexed. That 4-5 inches of extension on the one side would also give 2-3 inches of compresion on the other end of the same axle. You have that sort of gain on both ends of theruck and your gaining an easy 100 points on the ramp. My bet is with some fine tuning and dropping the sway you could gain 200+ points for around $150.
    The stuff I would get is 2 inch blocks for the rea, ORD extended front shackles and shocks at your local parts store. Losen the clamps around the spring a little to reduce spring pack bind. You would gain about 1/2 inch lift in the front 2 inches in the rear (that would even the truck up). It will surprise you how much you gain with just that little bit.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Les Key, FLEX KING!!!

Are you ever gonna do anything with that rig other than drive it to the mall and up a ramp in a parking lot??? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Can we at least expect to see you scatter some parts at canadian in Feb???

Disclaimer: LKJR is a friend of mine, or used to be before this post. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, well hmmm, is there a mall or a parking lot at canadian river, /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif, one of these days, 4play is doing a run on november 9th but I think I have class that day and this stupid deal of $5 an hour to make it up that the state impliments on this massage school is getting expensive, already owe like 17 hrs, can only miss like 40 total by the end of feb. but yea I'm hopin to go break some stuff, biggest thing is I have to get the radiator replaced with a bigger one, kinda sad when it gets hot pulling a trailor. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

thanks grim,

well it was just a trial run for now, first thing on the agenda, is the lift, so I'm not in any hury to buy blocks or shocks till I get the springs bought and under there, no need in buying something if I"m gonna pull it out