Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scored sm465. Now what...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brocky, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I am wondering what else do I need to put this in my Blazer. Right now it has th350/203. Driveshafts? Crossmember?

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I have searched and read the auto to standard swap tech. But the driveshafts?, crossmember questions were not mentioned. Any help would be great.

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

you need to measure the 465 with the adapter on it for the 203 to fit it and compare the length of where it mounts to the engine to where the 203 mounts to it. if that length is the same as the 350 then driveshafts should be able to work. if not then no. the crossmember will probably have to be moved or you will need to find one that was designed for that tranny. or just make a custom one.

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Thanks, a step into the right direction.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My truck was a TH350/203... I quickly replaced that w/ a 465/203... proceded to blow up 8 203's (yes boys and girls, 8 4spd 203's) in a matter of 18 months, so now the rig has a 465/205. All 3 different setups had different length front and rear driveshafts, but the x member was in the same spot for all of them.
    Make sure you have the right flywheel for your motor (1 or 2 piece rear main), make sure you have a pilot bushing in your crank, get the pedal assembly from a donor truck, and go with a hydro clutch right from the start if you can afford the parts... it is a WAY better setup than the manual linkage. It is a pretty easy swap and can be done in a weekend if you have all the parts. Have fun and enjoy the crawl ratio!!!

6. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah like he and the other guy said!

7. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I think all the high points have been hit except one. Did you get the 465-203 adapter and a 10 spline input for the 203 to match the 465 output? If not, I know someone who has one of each that he could part with... :whistle:

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Don't be in a hurry. I had all the parts and the desire to get it done quickly but it still took the better part of two weeks to get it done. The most fun part was the pedal assembly.

Ended up puttin a pretty good couple of dents in my sons' pedal car when I finally got the automatic assembly out and chucked it out of the truck. Was a little frustrating.

Probably just my ineptness but was a bit more than I was bargaining for.

Oh a word to the wise, go through both the tranny and t-case before you put the pair in the truck.

Turns out for me the "freshly rebuilt" t-case is apparently far from it. Nothing against the folks I got it from as they were goin on the word of the guy they got it from. In case you're wonderin about the verbage, the whole kit and kaboodle changed hands in fairly rapid succession from unkown to friend then to friend then to me.

You really only want to put this in once and then forget all the hassle it was.

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't even bother putting the 203 in there behind your 4spd (unless you are doing a doubler..). Just go find a good 4spd 205 and save yourself time and work in the longrun and only redo your drivelines once.

10. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

The guy I am getting it off didn't say what transfer case was attached. But I think I am going to go with the 205. I have a few of them kicking around. The pedal assembly is the easiest to get as a guy I know has a scrap yard. $20 for almost everything. I will look for the hydro hookup. Thanks guys. By far the best group on the net for info. Dam I wish I lived closer to some of ye and away from the Jeepers.

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

The Crossmember from the th350/203 will not work with the sm465
    But on some trucks is 2 crossmembers ond one will fit the auto combo and one fits the manual combo the holes that you use for to mount the adapter on is what is diff.

12. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Yep, that's why I picked these up. I have the 465, adapter, 10 spline input, 203 and 205 for exactly that, then I found a KluneV for a good price and well....it's all just laying around taking up space now :p:

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I had the same set up once, but I got some Guy in Colorado to take it off of My hands :whistle: :whistle: :wink1:

14. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I never changed my xmember when I swapped from TH350/203 to my 465/205... it worked just fine.