Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scored some parts today... and a differential ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Jan 29, 2005.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Well not really a score... I got a buddy who was parting out a 4x4 '81 3/4 ton chevy... He said he was gonna scrap everything but the motor tranny and interior...

I asked him if there was anything wrong with the axles. Nope, just didn't figure there was any desire for them.

So he's gonna pull them for me and set them aside. Any other parts I should try picking up? They have to be atleast 3.73s right? maybe 4.10s? What all parts do I need from the 3/4 ton steering component wise? Will my half ton dual front shock brackets still work?

Also, how is the Lockright differential? I seen in a magazine 14bt FF for like $250... How well do they work. also, will they work in a front axle ok? I was thinking about having my rear gov lock installed in the 3/4 ton 10 bolt. What do you think?

Also, should I go up to 16 inch wheels from 15 when I get new wheels for the K5? I noticed my old f150 handled better after I went from 16s to 17s...

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Gov locks are garbage, don't put it in anything. Take it out and throw it away before it grenades.

As to lockrights, I have them in two rigs and I've sold many lockrights to my customers. I've got over 50,000 on one without even removing the cover and it still works the same as it did on day one when I installed it almost two years ago.

Most likely the axles will have 4.10s, good for a 33" tire with overdrive.

The only downside to 16s is that the tires are more expensive. Other than that, going up in wheel size is a great idea. You may even consider 17s, they're getting more popular and all the new tires coming out are moving that direction.

3. WantedaDodge

I have a set of 17 inch tires... 32x10.50s I think... would need some wheels, but those can be spendy... Maybe some newer dodge wheels?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Newer Dodge wheels have too much backspacing.

I can get you into a set of 17s for less than $100 more than a set of 15" wheels.

5. WantedaDodge

Well, it will be a few months before I need them, but I will contact you when I do!

What traction device differential would you suggest for the front 10 bolt? would a Lock Right work as well?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all parts will swap over . but the rear is bigger and the gov-bom wont fit. and the only good one is for the 14ff is that. and get the rear spring ubolt plates, thay are a bit diff from 1/2 ton. and the frt is non c-clip axle and the rears are c-clip . the carrier is different. dont think it will work in the frt. and the gear split is 4.10up and 3.94 dwn. so if you get 4.10 your 1/2 wont work if stock 3.08 , like most 1/2 tons.

7. WantedaDodge

so what is a good front differential? or should I leave it open?

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

leave it open unless you're planning on running 33" tires or less.

9. WantedaDodge

Max tire size I'll go with would be '35s... most likely 33s though.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would run a Detroit true trac up front and the standard detroit in the rear.

That 3/4 10B will swap DIRECTLY in without any extra parts. Your front axle and the one from the 3/4 are EXACTLY the same thing besides one having bigger hubs. Try and get the spring plates from the '81, yours won't work.

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

this is news to me. ive been told by driveline shops that A: there is only one carrier for a 8.5 10b. no gear split,no difference between front and rear. yes the rear is a c-clip. but the front uses the same diff, just without the clips causs ya dont need em. maybe your referring to 14b on the gear split. i think thats true.

i would go with a tru trac in the front as well. but unless your tearing into the front axle to swap gears, i'd leave it alone for now. do the rear detriot first. see how you like it. if you feel you need more traction then put a TT in. plan on spending around 4-500 to have a shop install it tho. unless you can do it yourself. but i honestly dont think you'll see that big of an improvement going from (detroit rear- open front) to (detroit rear -TTfront). its gonna cost over 800 bucks to have it done right.

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Don't waste your time installing a limited slip in the front axle. Put in a full locker or leave it open. I have a lockright in the 10 bolt front axle in my truck and it is fine. I love having dual lockers. I run 35" tires with no real problems. You are in the breakage range for a 10 bolt front but oh well. Carry spare parts and don't drive like an moron. It took me 8 months to break my first axleshaft with 35's, a locker, and I rock crawl my truck.

Harley