Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scout II question...Help me please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4dreamer, Jun 27, 2003.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I have a friend who has a 78 Scout II. He got sick of fighting with it and bought a Montero. He told me he was going to GIVE it to a friend so his friend could pull the Dana 44's out and put them in his Jeep. The rest of the truck would get scrapped. I hate to see an old truck die, so I offered to find his friend some axles if I could have the Scout. How hard would it be to find some 74-80 Dana 44's that would fit under a jeep, and can I get them for less than 300 bucks? The Scout has bad brakes, old suspension, and the steering needs work, 4 different wheels and tires, lots of rust. It's running a 304. The guy uses it for his DD, so it's driveable, but he says it's kinda scary. I told my wife I'd ditch the top, paint it pink and put some decent wheels on it and she could use it. I think that is why she said we could get it, as long as I could find these axles. I did find a donor truck, it has no drive train, but the lady wants 300 for it. I'd have to pull the Axles, give them to his friend and then dispose of the ladies old Scout. Help me out here guys, should I, or Shouldn't I? I'm also looking at an 82 Caddy Deville this weekend that basically being GIVEN to me, so I might have a used car lot for a driveway here by next week.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

A lot of thos old scouts had lockers in both axles factory. They are also less width and why people want them so bad for Jeeps. If you can get the other scout for $300 it's a pretty good deal. Scouts make good wheelers. It would be a shame to crush it if it still has some life in it.

3. 4x4dreamer

I don't think it has lockers, but I just hate to see a very capable truck get parted out. From the factory, the Scouts were some awesome off-roaders and I think they actually outweigh my 83 K-5...that's a lot of Steel. He told me that the brakes (rotors) would be very expensive because of the IH hubs, any validity to that? Can I convert to GM style 6 lug hubs?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I don't see them being that expensive. I'm pretty sure that the Scout ran the same lug pattern as the jeeps Dana 30 front axles. The D30 uses the same knuckles as the D44 was my understanding. A 80 CJ7 is proabaly running the same rotors as that scout. Not positive on that but I think it is. Now once you get up into the late 80's when they started using that central disconnect D30 they went to a sealed bearing assembly. Those won't be the same.

5. 4x4dreamer

I think it'd look good parked next to my K-5...Does anybody know of some good IH resources I can use to try to fix this pig?

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

to bad you dont like closser, i have a set out of a scout here... kinda. but i got them.
    shouldnt be hard to find them at all.
    Grant

7. 4x4dreamer

Do you guys know if junkyards usually charge core charges on axles. Someone told me they did. This all hinges on whether or not I can get axles for less than 300 bucks...otherwise she says it's a no no. Do we know what the running rate for Dana 44's is?

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Old Scouts are cool....