Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scrapage law introduced! EFFECTS US!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just ran across this at the Pirate site.
    this will effect us all.
    communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Why don't we just ban baseball and Mom's apple pie, too??!!

I'm sure that there are more constructive things for the gov't to do than screw us out of our fun. If everything doesn't get crushed, it will drive the prices of parts so high that they will be out of the reach of the normal American.

Writing letters to all of our "leaders" now, hopefully my fax will hold out!

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/abshort>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

That really sucks!!! What about us younger folk who would one day like to have a classic ourselves. Just because I was born in the 80's shouldn't mean that I can't restore a 70's k-5 because of a lame law such as this!!! New fuel efficent cars suck! If they pass this I will start my own bone yard! Hopefully most of the bone yards around here wouldn't cash in on something like that. However after seeing some of these owners some very well may! Then again if the parts are now worth more why would the crush them.

Granny LOW and let her GO!!
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Oooohhh....the done it now! They pushed one of my buttons! Just give me the f'n email link to whoever I need to talk to. That is flippin bullsh*t! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Where is the logic in that???
    If this passed it would mean everything I own will be up for scrape...except my Cherokee and by the time this does pass if it does...it would mean I could own my Jeep for 2 years before it too is scraped.
    My dads surburban is a 1990 so he would get 3 years to keep it. Yet he has the same motor as any 87-95 Chevy truck.
    I just don't see an idea like this ever making it to be a law. So if I have a 40 year old car yet it has a 87 and up motor, can I keep it? BTW we own 3 cars that 15 years and newer and have 10 that are older then that, with the majority of them being more then 40 years old.(1955 Willy's wagon, 1940 chevy coupe, 1950 Chevy truck, 1929 chevy sedan and a 1950 parts truck and a 1940 sedan for parts)

If they crush the cars...they have crushed my dream.
    1 PISSED OFF 55WILLY[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][just straight up PISSED!]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

15 years ?!? of the 8 or so vehicles I've owned, only one was newer than 86. I have a better plan - send the desirable ones up here to Canada. We'll trade you hmmmm ... how about we plant some extra trees to clean the air and we'll throw in some freshwater reserves. Then we'll invent a new tourist industry - cross border auto parts shopping.

Seriously though, I'm moving south for at least three years, possibly to stay and widespread blanket laws like that are ridiculous for all the reasons outlined on the pirate board. If I had a senator I'd write a letter and fax it with one of the numbers provided. A nice clear, concise well reasoned letter outlining all the points provided and then how it will affect you personally. I'd also encourage any clubs to send in letters on behalf of their organizations.

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Woo hold on, yes this does suck big time, but I did not read anywhere where as soon as your rig turns 15 you have to turn the keys over and have it crushed (although that could be next). It sounds like when Earny down the street sells his old Blazer to the bone yard instead of that yard selling parts they crush it. This will drive up the parts big time, how about a 12,000. Dana 60? Hmm, I bet Dynatrac might like this. This crap better not pass.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

8. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

just sent a letter to my rep.

phill

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Okay, I may have flown off the handle there but when I feel threatened I tend to do so. Why can't they just keep their hands, eyes and nose on thier side of the fence?
    It's hard enough to find parts now, let alone when they want to crush them.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

10. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I think they tried it like 5-10 years ago they lost but they did get the emmissions laws passed. I don't think it would pass cuz the entire aftermarket industry would go out of bussiness and millions of people would be out of work. If the ever come to my house wanting to take my car or truck theywill die from lead poisioning from my 12 gauge

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

11. ti.user

ti.user Registered Member

This is supposed to improve the nations fuel economy?? I'm sure the "NEW" trucks get better mileage!! lol !! Here are some of the "NEWER" vehicles and gas mileage some freinds and family members get: '02 f-350 v-10 (10-12 mpg), '01 f-250 5.4liter (10-12mpg), '01 f-150 super crew 5.4 liter (14-15mpg), '00 durango w/318 v-8 (10-12mpg). Impresssive numbers ---NOT!!! My "90 k5 w/130,000 miles,350,700r4,241,10 bolts w/3:08's, stock suspension get 15-17 mpg, '86 gmc long bed p-u with 165,000 miles, 350 gets 13-15 mpg(this truck is in rough shape). They ain't gettin' my truck!!!!!!!
    Do you think those law makers are going to turn in their classic cars????

Thom

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have been involved in some of this junk before. This is simular to a lot of land use issues. What happens is there are these dorkmire groups and they just submit bills for off the wall stuff. This is one of those. it is rare that stuff like this pass but it does happen. The letters to your reps is what prevents it from becomming a law.
    It is important to get invloved. people not getting involved is how we have lost access to so much land. It's the "I didn't even know about" it stuff. Then a bunch of greenies do know get thier people to show up/write and since they are in the majority it get's passed. This is no different. As long as your reps get a bunch of letters saying this is a BS bill and will effect the hobiest as well as the billions of dollars a rear aftermarket industry they will vote it down.
    Folks need to pay attention to what is going on.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

13. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Point us in the right direction..ie: links to useful info...
    Other topic's like this..
    I'm willing to do my part..
    I'm also a positive and active supporter of Gun owner's of America.. Both of these are very serious issues that affect everything I and many others like to do..
    Check out this link for all you gun owner's..
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Rockos-album <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

14. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Amen...

Lead poisoning... Hehehehehe!

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

15. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

WTF, unfortunately i can't afford half the sh!t i want now, be it junk or new, but that is the nature of the beast. How many times have you turned on the news and seen a special report about a fahking 62 dodge dart crashing into a bridge or building, or maybe a french hotel, killing the 120 people onboarand another 50-100 people on the ground, didn't catch that one and i bet dodge wouldn't get a multi-billion dollar relief package to offset lack of customers, HOWEVER in the last 2 years you can't count on 2 HANDS how many times a piece of sheeeite 15+ year old airplane came down and there is no way in hell that it will pass a sniffer, for that matter most of the time they shouldn't pass a visual, but they do, and what happens uncle sam shells out your tax money and your social security and anything else that you have been robbed of by the gov., to pay some rich a$$hole and the rest of his/her board a bailout check in case people all of a sudden don't want to fly, wonder why that is, so THEY individually won't lose their paycheck and stock options while they lay off several thousand employees so they maybe can make a buck and do it again next month, and i can't buy a boneyard axle because someone isn't selling enough cars that breakdown at 25,000 miles with a hearty "I'm sorry sir I don't believe that YOUR WARRANTY covers THIS(with a fist in your a$$)" I DON'T THINK SO, HAMMER I am w/ you...

16. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

everyone needs to start writing letters. THere are Two HUGE ways this impacts us.

1) Parts market. Who is going to make parts for 73-91 cars if they are soon going to be off the road. And where are you going to find junkyard parts if all the old cars have been crushed.

2) This could just be the beginning. Lobbying from hugh auto manufactures may have created this, and if we don't stop it now, what will be next... And what billion dollar companies will gain from our losses next.

I will be writing a letter soon. I hope everyone here does as well. This article has hit 9 of the car forums I visit daily.

STOP IT NOW!
    Brian

17. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Guess its time to to fill my yard with parts and classic cars, if this passes.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

18. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

If that went through, would it mean that all parts would be demolished, or just entire vehicles turned in?

Mud...

19. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like our law makers are another bunch of COMMUNISTS!!! [​IMG]

So, USA is gonna get converted to Communism!!! [​IMG]

When they come to take my keys from my hands, is the day they will be meeting their maker!!! [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

20. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Maybe you could help me out a bit- When I see lawmakers doing the will of big business in something that clearly has some poor reprecusions for the average person that doesn't really strike me as communist. Now if the government did something in favor of the majority of people that in some way harmed big business then I could see it being communist. But then again maybe I'm confused on the meaning of communism.
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com