Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scratched paint fix???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Nov 29, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

No it's not for the blazer, quit laughing.

It's on the prism. Driving home from school 3 days ago and a truck in front of me hit one of those shredded tires that's always in the road. Kicked it up and shot it at my car. busted the headlight, slid across the hood, and busted the winshield. I got the winshield replaced, and the headlight lens is on the way. But It's got some minor scratches on the hood, and one major one all the way to the metal. How can I touch this up and make it look decent? It's base/clear and onyx black. I heard that I can get touch up paint and fill the scratch, then sand the area with 2000 grit lightly and wax the hood. Is this a good plan or what? I know absolutely nothing about paint and body work. Help a guy out!!!

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hey how'd you know I was laughing[​IMG],maybe you could try that miracle stuff they sell on TV

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

or maybe i could make the car into a tuff truck racer now and save the cash!!! jackass. LOL

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You can take care of these fairly good if you have enough patience. The trick is to build up the paint to the right thickness while giving it enough time to fully shrink.

First, wash the area and then clean it with some paint prep spray. If there is bare metal, put some touch-up primer on it right away before any rust starts. Let the primer dry for at least a day. Then put the matching color down from one of those tubes. Keep the paint pretty thin. Most of the touch-up tubes are lacquer based. Let that blob up over the edges of the scratch and then let that dry for at least a couple of days. Then get out the 1500-2000 grit and smooth it out a bit. Then put on another layer of color and keep this up until the crack is filled in. Then wait a couple more days. Then sand it smooth, hitting the factory paint just around the scratch as well. Then put down some clear coat, again from a little tube. Let that dry for a couple of days and then sand it right smooth with some 2000 grit. Be careful not to sand the original clear coat too much. Then rub the area out with some rubbing compound and then put some wax on it.

If you need to drive it every day, just clean it up with the paint prep every time before you start working on it again and do the painting such that it can at least dry over night before it is driven again. If you park outside and it is cold out, this will take even longer or will not work at all.

Again, the idea is to work slowly and let the paint finish shrinking so that you can get the color coat to lay even with the factory color coat and the clear coat to lay evenly with the factory clear coat. Paint is 3-dimensional, after all and if it is not even or the textures won't match, it will always draw your eye to the spot.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

ROTFLMAO!!!!! When I first saw the subject I thought this was a joke about your blazer! ;)

I didn't read the other replies, but try some rubbing compound and maybe a super fine wet sandpaper. I good buffing may get them out also!

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Just put a BIG Type R sticker on the hood over it.....LOL

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I knew I was gonna catch a lot of flak from this one, thanks blue for a decent answer...

And mike and les....BITE ME!

Sherman, Tx

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I probably am the only person that wasn't laffin!! I have NO scratches on MY blazer- and plan on keeping it that way- go ahead giggle, laugh, hoot, or what ever- you all know my truck doesn't leave town maintained roads.... But thanks for posting all of you about how to get rid of them, because I'm sure someone will hit me with there shopping cart when I'm at wal-mart ! LOL!

--Brandy

IF ONLY THE 4 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] The type R sticker would probably work really well! LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey Brandy... I think the first time you find a mark from a shopping cart you should grab the nearest one and throw it on the ground take a pic of your truck flexing on it LOL. That would be a great pic [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

you all know my truck doesn't leave town maintained roads

<hr></blockquote>
    I'm SOOOO confused now about your username [​IMG]

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

maybe its supposed to be ... mud in or... muddin earl[img]http://color...ttle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

13. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Laketex,
    the easiest way is to put a big block in it and you won't need a hood. I like to keep things simple....

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey....what's wrong with keeping your rig pristine? If someone ever scratches up my factory paint, i'd be so pissed. Yeah.

Sherman, Tx